There are newer employer reviews for AvalonBay

Constant Micromanaging and Incompetent Managers

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Rockland, NY
Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Rockland, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401K, Health Insurance.....that's about it.

Cons

Low Pay for the amount of work that is done. Managers take all the praise and recognition for the hard work of leasing consultants. Leasing Consultants are expected to do everything and managers frequently delegate their tasks to the consultants. No room to grow unless you suck up and play nasty office politics. Very hostile work enviroment and main focus is on survey scores instead. Mind-numbingly boring and very slow paced. If you are looking for a boring, dead end job, then this is the perfect place for you!

Live up to the promises you make your employes about growth within the company or be honest with them and tell them the only way to move up is to suck up.

95 Other Employee Reviews for AvalonBay (View Most Recent)

Overall, its been a satisfying experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay

Pros

Flexible (if your going to school), great working hours during the week, Awesome benefits, amazing bonus opportunities

Cons

Takes forever to move-up in a management position

Best, advice if starting as a Leasing Consultant, float to other properties and get to know other operations.

Work hard and move up.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at AvalonBay

Pros

Excellent opportunities for advancement based on performance. Seniority is rewarded, but performance will get you further. Ambition and an eagerness to learn will get you ahead, especially if you do not have a college degree. The company has certainly been poised to stay afloat during these trying economic times, and that bodes well for job security. I only left the company due to my fiance taking a job in another city, otherwise I would still be with Avalon today.

Cons

The transition to become more retail oriented makes the negatives of the job even more glaring. The hours and inflexibility in accommodations for weekends was just beginning to take place during my departure. This, in my opinion, makes the stress of being on-site even more frustrating as the employees have been making even more concessions for the benefits of residents. By creating "Senior" Community Managers and "podding" smaller community's, they have taken away some opportunity for advancement, but this makes certain that only the best will move ahead (which is not a bad thing).

Avalon is obviously doing a lot of things right, but the changes in on-site policies (re: hours) does not lend itself to holding on to great talent. Retail type environments will only lead to retail type help. Understandably, the direction seems to be heading towards less sales/management on-site and more of a complete concierge/resident service team. Otherwise, my time with Avalon was truly Time Well Spent.

There are newer employer reviews for AvalonBay