Work hard and move up.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at AvalonBay

Pros

Excellent opportunities for advancement based on performance. Seniority is rewarded, but performance will get you further. Ambition and an eagerness to learn will get you ahead, especially if you do not have a college degree. The company has certainly been poised to stay afloat during these trying economic times, and that bodes well for job security. I only left the company due to my fiance taking a job in another city, otherwise I would still be with Avalon today.

Cons

The transition to become more retail oriented makes the negatives of the job even more glaring. The hours and inflexibility in accommodations for weekends was just beginning to take place during my departure. This, in my opinion, makes the stress of being on-site even more frustrating as the employees have been making even more concessions for the benefits of residents. By creating "Senior" Community Managers and "podding" smaller community's, they have taken away some opportunity for advancement, but this makes certain that only the best will move ahead (which is not a bad thing).

Advice to Management

Avalon is obviously doing a lot of things right, but the changes in on-site policies (re: hours) does not lend itself to holding on to great talent. Retail type environments will only lead to retail type help. Understandably, the direction seems to be heading towards less sales/management on-site and more of a complete concierge/resident service team. Otherwise, my time with Avalon was truly Time Well Spent.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Sleepy place to work

Current Employee - Consultant in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melville, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay

Pros

Workday is 9-6. Not expected to work long hours. Time well spent is their motto. You don't have to do overtime. A good place for working mothers who don't mind a sleepy company without much potential for career development. If you like to show up 9 to 6 to get a steady paycheck without having to put in a whole lot of effort, this is the place for you. It's a very feminine and motherly type of job.

Cons

Too many witchy females. Kind of boring. You do the same thing day in and day out. A lot of people are petty and meanspirited.

Advice to Management

Don't build crappy communities thinking that people will want to pay lots of money for them.

2. Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Orange (Australia)
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Orange (Australia)

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, great benefits, lots of room for growth, decent starting pay, great management, willing to teach you as much as you want to learn.

Cons

The company is awesome the only con would be dealing with the angry residents.

Advice to Management

N/A