There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

Good company, Good people, future questionable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart and good people to work with. Good pay and benefits (although benefits have decreased recently) Flexible with work schedule and times - as long as you perform and get your work done

Cons

Not convinced of financial viability. Was a former Nortel employee who got picked up by Avaya when Nortel went bankrupt. The exodus of executives and explanations of missing the numbers and assurances of future success had same tone as the final years at Nortel. They were pushing a volunteer separation package to minimize the number of layoffs. I jumped on it. No coincidence that the majority of people who took the package were former Nortel employees. We have seen this movie before and know how it ends. With that said, though, the communicated layoffs to take place after the separation packages never occurred to the best of my knowledge and they are hiring in the RTP area. Another similarity with Nortel is that as people left the company, they were not back-filled and either their work got pushed on to those remaining or just dissolved. good to avoid layoffs, but crippled ability to have a career path as promotions and job movement seemed pretty stagnant (to me at least)

Advice to Management

seems to be too much turnover at the executive levels. spend a year or two changing things to support a philosophy, then exec leaves, new one comes in and spend the next year or two changing things back to the way they were, then repeat process. i don't think this is limited to Avaya, but still seems an issue to me in limiting efficiency and growth.

Other Employee Reviews for Avaya

Struggling Company

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Avaya full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits package, some smart people around the various organizations but you have to look hard for them. Solid products in some areas.

Cons

Trying to be too many things to too many people, company needs to focus on core strengths and do them well. Not a strong innovator and time has passed this company by in some respects.

Advice to Management

Get the organization lean and mean. Focus on key product and solution areas and stop trying to be more than you are. Be realistic about your competitive position.

2. A lot of pressure from management

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Global company with great technologies

Cons

Not a fun place to work

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more