Avaya

There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

In IT: Nice people, crushing workload

Former Employee - Project Manager in Coppell, TX
Former Employee - Project Manager in Coppell, TX

I worked at Avaya as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are very friendly, updated toolset, lots of process (which is a mixed blessing). There seems to be a good mix of people - young, older, men, women. (There aren't a lot of young women at Coppell location - being female, I notice these things.)

Cons

Here are the things I wish someone had told me before I took a contract position here:
1. There have been furloughs in 2013, 2014. Some contractors have had to take as much as 3 weeks off last year. There has already been a 1 week furlough in March 2014. The consulting firm I worked for did not mention this to me when hiring.
2. Many of the Project Managers and Business Analysts are working more than 40 hours a week, but can't bill for the time over 40 hours. When they mention the workload to their managers, they are told they just need to do what it takes. There's no guidance in prioritizing work. (The employees are similarly overloaded.) Some of the project managers are routinely working 60 hour weeks (but can only bill for 40 hours.) Then they get even more assignments dumped on them.
3. The PM role was more expansive than the job description. The PM role will contain typical Business analyst functions as well as tech lead functions, on top of typical PM functions.
4. Depending on the manager you work with, you may be micromanaged or expected to micromanage.
5. There are a lot of people involved with software development and they are also very busy. It is hard to get the needed collaboration and/or approvals in a timely manner.
6. There is no formal, structured training in the processes for SDLC and the process is very involved.
7. Technical skills are valued here. If you are not very technical, they will take every opportunity to remind you of that. The higher level leaders are also deeply involved in the technical weeds.
8. Excessive cost-cutting. Office supplies are in short supply. Many people bring their own.

If you are an ambitious person looking to move up the ladder in IT as an employee:
1. Check out the makeup of the CIOs direct reports and see if you fit the profile.
2. Also, IT needs women in leadership positions. It's discouraging when no women report directly to the CIO.

Don't be in such a hurry to bring in new people. The longer tenured staff have much to offer. If processes and projects are important to Avaya, they need to be staffed appropriately.

1026 Other Employee Reviews for Avaya (View Most Recent)

Exciting Times

I have been working at Avaya

Pros

Passion to win. investing in customer solutions, hiring to talent, and getting things done. New leadership is reshaping the culture and puts customer first. People are empowered to make decisions and get things done. Competitive products and solutions.

Cons

Brand is not well known. Marketing . A lot of change ( for the good) . Silo's of people and functions that have not embraced change and the new direction. Feels like we have added a lot of weight at top management. Product development needs to breakout and make a difference.

Stay the course. Be completely transparent. Fix our branding. Need to create technology tornados through development and leadership.

Was a good company with good benefits, but structure and policies changed so much since Silver Lake took it private.

Current Employee - Systems Applications Specialist in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Applications Specialist in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Challenging work. Always learning new products and new release features. Decent work environment. Most low level managers had good people skills.

Cons

Rudderless upper management. Plans change every month and then revert to what they were under different name.

Company is changing focus from customer driven service company to drop ship software company. Losing focus on the bottom line, the customer.

There are newer employer reviews for Avaya