There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

In IT: Nice people, crushing workload

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Coppell, TX
Former Contractor - Project Manager in Coppell, TX

I worked at Avaya as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are very friendly, updated toolset, lots of process (which is a mixed blessing). There seems to be a good mix of people - young, older, men, women. (There aren't a lot of young women at Coppell location - being female, I notice these things.)

Cons

Here are the things I wish someone had told me before I took a contract position here:
1. There have been furloughs in 2013, 2014. Some contractors have had to take as much as 3 weeks off last year. There has already been a 1 week furlough in March 2014. The consulting firm I worked for did not mention this to me when hiring.
2. Many of the Project Managers and Business Analysts are working more than 40 hours a week, but can't bill for the time over 40 hours. When they mention the workload to their managers, they are told they just need to do what it takes. There's no guidance in prioritizing work. (The employees are similarly overloaded.) Some of the project managers are routinely working 60 hour weeks (but can only bill for 40 hours.) Then they get even more assignments dumped on them.
3. The PM role was more expansive than the job description. The PM role will contain typical Business analyst functions as well as tech lead functions, on top of typical PM functions.
4. Depending on the manager you work with, you may be micromanaged or expected to micromanage.
5. There are a lot of people involved with software development and they are also very busy. It is hard to get the needed collaboration and/or approvals in a timely manner.
6. There is no formal, structured training in the processes for SDLC and the process is very involved.
7. Technical skills are valued here. If you are not very technical, they will take every opportunity to remind you of that. The higher level leaders are also deeply involved in the technical weeds.
8. Excessive cost-cutting. Office supplies are in short supply. Many people bring their own.

If you are an ambitious person looking to move up the ladder in IT as an employee:
1. Check out the makeup of the CIOs direct reports and see if you fit the profile.
2. Also, IT needs women in leadership positions. It's discouraging when no women report directly to the CIO.

Don't be in such a hurry to bring in new people. The longer tenured staff have much to offer. If processes and projects are important to Avaya, they need to be staffed appropriately.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Named Account Manager
    Former Employee - Named Account Manager

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation and people are great.

Cons

Management needs to establish a company strategy and direction so the entire company is working to achieve the same goals and deliver the same message in the marketplace.

Spend time upfront to think through and deliver a common message to your customers and employee's.

2. worked at highlands ranch

Former Employee - Systems Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Systems Support Specialist

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

payscale,great people to work with.

Cons

great company until silverlake bought it

none