Avaya

www.avaya.com

In IT: Nice people, crushing workload

Project Manager (Former Employee) Coppell, TX

ProsMost of the people are very friendly, updated toolset, lots of process (which is a mixed blessing). There seems to be a good mix of people - young, older, men, women. (There aren't a lot of young women at Coppell location - being female, I notice these things.)

ConsHere are the things I wish someone had told me before I took a contract position here:
1. There have been furloughs in 2013, 2014. Some contractors have had to take as much as 3 weeks off last year. There has already been a 1 week furlough in March 2014. The consulting firm I worked for did not mention this to me when hiring.
2. Many of the Project Managers and Business Analysts are working more than 40 hours a week, but can't bill for the time over 40 hours. When they mention the workload to their managers, they are told they just need to do what it takes. There's no guidance in prioritizing work. (The employees are similarly overloaded.) Some of the project managers are routinely working 60 hour weeks (but can only bill for 40 hours.) Then they get even more assignments dumped on them.
3. The PM role was more expansive than the job description. The PM role will contain typical Business analyst functions as well as tech lead functions, on top of typical PM functions.
4. Depending on the manager you work with, you may be micromanaged or expected to micromanage.
5. There are a lot of people involved with software development and they are also very busy. It is hard to get the needed collaboration and/or approvals in a timely manner.
6. There is no formal, structured training in the processes for SDLC and the process is very involved.
7. Technical skills are valued here. If you are not very technical, they will take every opportunity to remind you of that. The higher level leaders are also deeply involved in the technical weeds.
8. Excessive cost-cutting. Office supplies are in short supply. Many people bring their own.

If you are an ambitious person looking to move up the ladder in IT as an employee:
1. Check out the makeup of the CIOs direct reports and see if you fit the profile.
2. Also, IT needs women in leadership positions. It's discouraging when no women report directly to the CIO.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be in such a hurry to bring in new people. The longer tenured staff have much to offer. If processes and projects are important to Avaya, they need to be staffed appropriately.

On the wane

I have been working at Avaya

Pros: Challenging, high tech environment requiring constant updates to your skills Cons: Full of management from Nortel (the company who went bankrupt),… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

good but not as i expected.

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avaya as an intern for less than a year

Pros: good working environment.good infrastructure.good salary.good learning opportunity.facilities provided to the… Cons: interns are bit neglected.not much importance is given to them.no proper work… Advice to Senior Management: give time for interns to learn and then start to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Avaya.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!