There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

Not a long term place to work ... going down the tubes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent engineers and depending on the project interesting technology to work on. The only reason I have stayed for so long is the profound respect I have for my co-workers

Cons

With a few exceptions, and there are some, senior management could not care less about people, and sometimes one wonders if they care about the company long term . The decisions that are made are so short sighted that for 4 years we have been thinking that we are going to be sold next week. The focus is solely on what the numbers look like for the next quarter. If the numbers are not good people are laid off or buildings are sold to make them look better. Well, we have run out of buildings to sell, and as far as laying people off we are at the point where we do not have critical mass to get much done, so guess where sales are going to keep going .... In addition, the way people get laid off is chilling. You are in better shape if you sign up to a voluntary termination package. But if you are targeted and you did not know it, you simply disappear from one day to the next. No announcements to the rest of the people, or notice. You are simply gone. I have to mention how particularly clueless is our CEO. One day when he was not particularly happy about quality numbers, his comment to all employees was "Developers put bugs in the code, not management". If anything shows ignorance about software development, which nowadays is the bread and butter of the company, I don't know what does. Like unreasonable deadlines, understaffing and outsourcing do not have an impact on quality.

Advice to Management

Just go away please ... you have done absolutely nothing for this company for 5 years. Can't you see that? Why don't you have a little bit of integrity, recognize your failure and let somebody else give it a try ... In any case you will not have this job in 2-3 years because there will be no job to have.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Dying company with no ability or desire to grow

Current Employee - QA Engineer III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary and the people are really nice.

Cons

No professional growth, anyone with real experience or depth leaves the company. In fact the company highlighted this as a serious problem - most of the people capable of making architectural changes to their systems are gone (people with more than 10+ years experience). Company can't grow organically so it has to buy up small companies. Leadership seems clueless. Company mistakes "the process" (and bureaucracy) as being keys of success which is why it takes years to release new (software) products instead of weeks or months.

Advice to Management

You need a realistic vision focused on the future, which realistically is probably not based on selling phone systems. Then you need to rely on and support the people who can build your vision of the future. Stop cutting costs just to increase the bottom line and focus on building products that customers want.

Overly bureaucratic and only interested in good metrics, not good products

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nearly everyone that I've worked with has been nice and hard(-ish) working. Work-live balance seems good day to day. Compensation can be reasonable if you negotiate well (be careful with vacation now that they're moving to "discretionary time off"). Other benefits are fine (but watch out for more cuts here).

Cons

It's impossible to get anything done (and shipped to customers) without official approval. This wouldn't be so bad if getting official approval didn't double the length of the project. It's a bunch of little things that add up. You go to committee to try to get your project concept approved and if the other presentations run over, you could have to wait weeks for the next opportunity. All of the different players get to estimate how long they'll take, and they all over estimate because things fall apart if anyone goes over. Everyone seems happy to help, but only if they can make it official so they get the budget for their time. After years of layoffs, incentives to leave, and benefit cuts nobody is feeling very secure. There's very little investment in the future, in the products or in the employees. It seems like company owners are just getting what they can before they can sell it to some unsuspecting buyer.

Advice to Management

Replace the people at the top. Lead from engineering, not quarterly sales/finance. A company this size should have way more people in research and new product development. Don't just milk the existing products, build something that will be great in two or five years. Treat your employees fairly. If you're going to take some form of compensation away, be sure to replace it with something that the employees want more. Strip down the process, or make safe-havens for rapid development.