There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

Not a long term place to work ... going down the tubes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westminster, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent engineers and depending on the project interesting technology to work on. The only reason I have stayed for so long is the profound respect I have for my co-workers

Cons

With a few exceptions, and there are some, senior management could not care less about people, and sometimes one wonders if they care about the company long term . The decisions that are made are so short sighted that for 4 years we have been thinking that we are going to be sold next week. The focus is solely on what the numbers look like for the next quarter. If the numbers are not good people are laid off or buildings are sold to make them look better. Well, we have run out of buildings to sell, and as far as laying people off we are at the point where we do not have critical mass to get much done, so guess where sales are going to keep going ....
In addition, the way people get laid off is chilling. You are in better shape if you sign up to a voluntary termination package. But if you are targeted and you did not know it, you simply disappear from one day to the next. No announcements to the rest of the people, or notice. You are simply gone.
I have to mention how particularly clueless is our CEO. One day when he was not particularly happy about quality numbers, his comment to all employees was "Developers put bugs in the code, not management". If anything shows ignorance about software development, which nowadays is the bread and butter of the company, I don't know what does. Like unreasonable deadlines, understaffing and outsourcing do not have an impact on quality.

Just go away please ... you have done absolutely nothing for this company for 5 years. Can't you see that? Why don't you have a little bit of integrity, recognize your failure and let somebody else give it a try ... In any case you will not have this job in 2-3 years because there will be no job to have.

963 Other Employee Reviews for Avaya (View Most Recent)

They speak of great culture and ethics, while working towards a slavery model.

Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Avaya seems to be fairly competitive with wages. They have a lot of intelligent people and great technology.

Cons

Avaya culture has changed dramatically over the last decade. A company that once went out of its way to reward loyalty and recognize their employees, now moves forward with an attitude of "It is a privilege to work for us, if you don't like what we are doing, you are free to leave." They no longer care to have conversations about what is wrong with the infrastructure or how it can be streamlined. Instead it has become a dictatorship where they continue to "take from" rather than "give to" their employees. Just as Network World was announcing that Kevin Kennedy received a fivefold pay increase, Avaya announced (without warning) that they were taking away our accrued vacation model and going to a Discretionary Time Off (DTO) model. With the new model you have to negotiate with your manager to get time off and you do NOT accumulate vacation. If they feel that the "Needs of the Business" will allow for some time off, they may grant it to you if they deem you so worthy. (but one should not expect the same amount of time off that was previously earned through tenure.) So those that have been loyal for many years, essentially lose the additional time off that they earned through hard work. They also continue to shave away at the benefits and reduce the rewards. Then they spin the announcements in an attempt to make the changes appear attractive and appropriate. If you take the time to review their strategy and the changes they have made, it is very apparent that they are slowly working their employees towards a perfect slavery model where only the masters benefit. Avaya has had many internal problems for many years and they remain unresolved. If Avaya customers had any idea just how unstable and unreliable the tools are the we use to support them, they would find it hard to sleep at night. This was once a great place to work and I was proud to be Avayan. Unfortunately those days are gone and I no longer hold the pride I once enjoyed.

My team and I have gone to management many times to point out issues and help bring resolution. Unfortunately arrogance and ego prevents the upper management from having any 'take away' from the lower echelons. I have a book of documentation on issues and how they can be resolved. It has become apparent our attempts have been a waste so I will not waste more time in this venue.

Constantly changing, not in a good way, very short-term mentality, no ability to manage at the C level.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary, benefits, telecommuting all make an attractive package,

Cons

No executive vision, constantly turnover in executive staff. Hardware and sales driven culture.

Embrace and manage services.

There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!