Averitt Express

www.averittexpress.com
  www.averittexpress.com
There are newer employer reviews for Averitt Express

Management doesn't care about the drivers.

Current Employee - Truckload Driver in Hickory, NC
Current Employee - Truckload Driver in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Averitt Express

Pros

The trucks have APUs for heat and AC so the driver stays comfortable while resting without idling the truck. Some terminals have showers, maintenance shops, and fuel. If you can stay in the south you can usually have a safe place to park no matter what time of day you rest.

Cons

LTL, Truckload, and Supply chain are all ran like they are separate companies with poor communication between them. It is common to come off a 10 hour break and be told you are sitting all day so you can pickup an LTL run that night to take to another terminal. These are "hot" loads but too many times they won't be ready until 2 hours past their cut time and the driver is expected to run nonstop to try to make up some of that time. Some drivers get good miles, but many drivers end up sitting around during the week and being told their is no freight. It depends on your home terminal because they don't want you to get too far from there. You can be in an area with plenty of freight but if it all delivers too far from your home terminal you aren't allowed to run it. I've had a few times that I sat long enough to get a 34 hour reset while I waited for a load. If you get that much downtime during the week then the planners think you are rested and don't want any time at home so your home time is cut short those weeks. It is stressful knowing you are loosing home time because the planner doesn't want to give you a load to run. The drivers in VA and NC spend a large part of their time running the Northeast. Recruiters claim this company runs the South and Southeast, but I rarely have a week I'm not in NJ, PA, or NY. I've had many weeks when I would leave Sunday and get home Saturday with just 2,000 miles and a load leaving Sunday before I've had 24 hours at home. They claim they care about your home time but they show you time after time they don't care. They talk about having hundreds of drivers that have been with the company 20+ years but those drivers have the better jobs, either local LTL or the high paying Supply chain jobs. If you live near certain terminals or can get the better jobs then this is a good company but for anyone else it can sometimes be a nightmare.

When a Truckload driver leaves home they expect to keep running so they can make money for their family then get home for long enough to spend time with them. Too many drivers are left sitting around with no pay only to get a load that doesn't get them home for long. If you keep a driver happy then that driver will work harder for you.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Averitt Express (View Most Recent)

I do not like them

Current Employee - Averitt Express Dock Worker in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Averitt Express Dock Worker in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Averitt Express

Pros

flexible schedule and pay is not that bad

Cons

Its is very hard to advance

They should value the employes

I have learned a lot at Averitt Express, however I have out grown the company and ready for a change.

Current Employee - Professional Driver, City - Semi Tractor-Trailer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Averitt Express

Pros

Good medical benefits, decent pay, great place to learn if starting new in the transportation industry.

Cons

Lack of advanced training, no educational incentives, lack of advancement opportunities. Service centers do not follow corporate guidelines and promote corporate culture as should. Corporate has a lack of hands on and vision at service centers.

Averitt needs to focus on developing employees for long term employment and advancement opportunities. Educational incentive's needs to be offered to employees. Employee moral is very low with little to no trust in company management. The Atlanta West service center needs to be better organized, communication between departments need to optimized. Currently there is a hugh communication gap between departments, leading to mistakes and a lack of professionalism. My recommendation is that Mr. Sasser do a complete audit and visual of the Atlanta West service center. Current employees, management and the roles they play in operations, freight delivery and pickup, customer value and satisfaction, and employee satisfaction. I would also recommend that the corporate office set-up a management training program, training new management that will adhere to and understand the corporate management structure. Taking there leadership to the many service centers optimizing a leaner more customer and employee oriented company.

There are newer employer reviews for Averitt Express