There are newer employer reviews for Averitt Express

Satisfied

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Madison, AL
Current Employee - Truck Driver in Madison, AL

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Home weekly, GREAT benefits, Decent Pay

Cons

Truckload Drivers are often tasked to cover LTL loads, which usually means after sleeping all night, you will sit all day waiting to drive all night the next night.
No beards allowed

Stop treating drivers like prisoners. The no-beard policy is antiquated and useless.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Averitt Express (View Most Recent)

I had a DECENT experience with Averitt for the short time I was there.

Current Employee - Regional Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Averitt Express

Pros

HEALTH Benefits were the best I had as far as weekly cost for the driver. I was home MOST weekends and it was up to me IF I chose to stay out the next weekend. Most freight going back to home terminal was straight back to the yard drop for another driver to take to his home terminal. NO TOUCH FREIGHT except PETCO loads. Good overall equipment with APUs for heat AND cold air.Decent miles...I averaged $450 to $650 after child support and taxes not too bad to be home almost 2 days a week.Most terminal shops get you in and OUT pretty fast on tires or SMALL repair.Oh I also met Mr Sasser at the end of orientation...might not mean much to other drivers BUT for a man running a MULTI million dollar company THAT went a long way with me to shake his hand.

Cons

Petco loads ARE HEAVY (some over 500lbs)with certain pallets with nothing but pet food on them very tall pallets(MOST stores MANUAL pallet jacks ONLY) with SOME stores with NO help in the trailer...(TAILGATE some stores by yourself)... They FROWN on fueling OFFSITE from terminal yards...so DEFINITELY FUEL at an Averitt yard!(PLAN ACCORDINGLY)

Only thing I didn't like was the attitude of the Driver Manager I had...(Smart Mouthed)...I never really met the Terminal Manager where I worked at...wouldn't even know his face....

Management doesn't care about the drivers.

Current Employee - Truckload Driver in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Truckload Driver in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Averitt Express

Pros

The trucks have APUs for heat and AC so the driver stays comfortable while resting without idling the truck. Some terminals have showers, maintenance shops, and fuel. If you can stay in the south you can usually have a safe place to park no matter what time of day you rest.

Cons

LTL, Truckload, and Supply chain are all ran like they are separate companies with poor communication between them. It is common to come off a 10 hour break and be told you are sitting all day so you can pickup an LTL run that night to take to another terminal. These are "hot" loads but too many times they won't be ready until 2 hours past their cut time and the driver is expected to run nonstop to try to make up some of that time. Some drivers get good miles, but many drivers end up sitting around during the week and being told their is no freight. It depends on your home terminal because they don't want you to get too far from there. You can be in an area with plenty of freight but if it all delivers too far from your home terminal you aren't allowed to run it. I've had a few times that I sat long enough to get a 34 hour reset while I waited for a load. If you get that much downtime during the week then the planners think you are rested and don't want any time at home so your home time is cut short those weeks. It is stressful knowing you are loosing home time because the planner doesn't want to give you a load to run. The drivers in VA and NC spend a large part of their time running the Northeast. Recruiters claim this company runs the South and Southeast, but I rarely have a week I'm not in NJ, PA, or NY. I've had many weeks when I would leave Sunday and get home Saturday with just 2,000 miles and a load leaving Sunday before I've had 24 hours at home. They claim they care about your home time but they show you time after time they don't care. They talk about having hundreds of drivers that have been with the company 20+ years but those drivers have the better jobs, either local LTL or the high paying Supply chain jobs. If you live near certain terminals or can get the better jobs then this is a good company but for anyone else it can sometimes be a nightmare.

When a Truckload driver leaves home they expect to keep running so they can make money for their family then get home for long enough to spend time with them. Too many drivers are left sitting around with no pay only to get a load that doesn't get them home for long. If you keep a driver happy then that driver will work harder for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Averitt Express