Market Research Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Strongsville, OH
Former Employee - Intern in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison

Pros

Freedom, great group to work with

Cons

BORING and often times left to fend for yourself

Advice to Management

More training and guidance

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A lot of challenges and opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Avery Dennison

Pros

Freedom to do what had to be done. A lot of opportunities. Working in an international environment. A great deal of complexity that, when handled correctly, gave you a real sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Management didn't communicate well. Had to live with some bad decisions from above and then try to avoid the blame when the results came in.

Advice to Management

Provide clear paths of promotion for employees and respect the effort that individuals make to the overall success of the business.

2. Organizational change....because it's easier than delivering results

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Painesville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Painesville, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison

Pros

Relatively easy to make career changes. I saw people move from finance to commercial, customer service to marketing, marketing to techical, technical to purchasing, etc. Also, they are generally open to professional training, provided they aren't on one of their many spending freezes. The rank and file employees were generally curteous to each other.

Cons

Avery Dennison is in a constant state of flux, with major organizational shake-ups occurring every 4-6 months. However, the few folks in management spots are generally never touched. There is a ton of turnover at this place, but again always in the non-management ranks. This isn't the place for innovative people looking for quick career advancement on the basis of hard work and performance. If you're vocal and professionally challenge the status quo, you're not going to last the next cut. The HR staff is a skeleton crew and very unsupportive, spending more time recruiting than retaining talent. Every person I knew that was laid off in one of their re-orgs landed in a much better position, and I knew of only one employee that left Avery that wanted to return. My advice: if you need something stable enough for quick growth, keep looking.

Advice to Management

Each year you conduct employee surveys and we say the same thing - clear the middle manegement entrenched in these divisions (Directors and GM's) and let some new blood in there.