Avid Technology
www.avid.com Burlington, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Like the Navy in "The Cain Mutiny"...designed by geniuses, run by idiots.

Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee)
Tewksbury, MA

ProsStill the gold-standard of the film and video post production industry. (Largely) dedicated workforce trying to made a difference. Avid was truly the "better mousetrap" for film and video editing, and at one time that world beat a path to their door.

ConsThose who created the "better mousetrap" are long gone. Revolving-door management. No vision beyond survival. I worked for three different engineering managers in my two years with the company, the last having been employed by three previous companies that crashed. Near-constant threat of layoffs (which explains my short tenure.) Senior and middle management who know nothing about the industry and turn a deaf ear to customer requirements. Slavish adherence to release schedules...when I worked for QA (before it was outsourced) we were regularly "beaten up" in meetings with complaints like "you're finding too many bugs!" More cronyism than most companies - those politically connected stay for years, while energetic, passionate people with strong opinions are tossed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit that you don't know the business you're in - this isn't another "widget" company, but a specialized company that still has a killer app. Get out of the offices and board room and engage your customers, while you still have a few of 'em!

Great people, relaxed environment, many opportunities for growth

Software Developer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Avid Technology as an intern for more than a year

Pros: - opportunity to work with products and technologies you are passionate about - brilliant co-workers from whom you can learn a lot as… Cons: - offshore development teams can be difficult to deal with -… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Excellent engineering talent with creative product offerings

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time

Pros: It was a fast paced, technical environment. Great for those who are creative and… Cons: Executives are highly compensated individuals because they're expected to lead a company through the hills and valleys of today's global economic challenges. If anyone could… Advice to Senior Management: At the end of the day; you own the balance sheet. Many of us would love to have a job where we could say we… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Avid Technology.

Worked for Avid Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avid Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avid Technology CEO Louis Hernandez, Jr. . All reviews posted anonymously by Avid Technology employees.