Avis Budget Group

stay away, far away

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

I received regular paychecks
I had some great co-workers
The uniforms (pants, shirts, ties, hats, outside weather related outfits) were provided
Insurance coverage

Cons

I could go on forever & ever about the horrible experiences I had working at Avis. It all comes down to management & their belief they can do no wrong and are perfect in every way. They were also very lazy. They only care about themselves & not their employees, customers or other managers. Many times I heard something along the lines of, "I don't care, that's not my shift" or department or whatever. They were very re-active rather than being pro-active. It's all about sales, sales, sales. I get that part. Profits are good. Profits by screwing your employees & customers in the short term does not equate to profits in the long term. Management by fear is a favorite tactic. Once the economy gets better people will be leaving there in mass. How bad is it when you have high turnover in a poor economy? There are quite a few long term/lifers working there but there are 4-5 times that many that last less than a few weeks. Mandatory overtime because they can't/won't replace those that leave. Working 6-7 days a week for months while being short-staffed. Inventory management is horrible....hundreds of cars in return lane, 10 on the ready line, with 20 customers coming off each consecutive bus. "We're working on it, just be patient...." That's the tip of the iceberg.....seriously, after 2+ years I could go on & on & on. Thankfully I finally found my out & bolted out of there. I do find it funny that it took 2 people to replace me on the shifts that I was previously working alone, and they're both now gone too.....

Listen to your employees.
Realize you're not perfect
Treat your employees with respect, not as if they're a necessary evil
Get rid of the gestapo-esque attitude

538 Other Employee Reviews for Avis Budget Group (View Most Recent)

Highly Stressful career with a ton on my plate

Former Employee - Local Market Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Local Market Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Definetly the people I worked with were great but many left during my tenure.
    Company Car and free gas was nice because my territory was huge.
    Territory position so I am out in the field all day.

Cons

Highly stressful everyday. Too much on my plate. ABG was a bit behind the competition in many areas, Upper management has to much emphasis on bean counting and number crunching. Too many segments to sell into and one of them really was beyond my control yet I was responsible for the territory numbers.

During my short tenure here I had (2) best in class long tenure people leave, (1) manager who hired me, leave, (1) other team member moved to a different department, and (1) fired. This was all in my regions territory. Another 25 year employee left from another state. Upper management really needs to look at the position and see why all these top people are leaving the position. If it were one it wouldn't matter but there is a large trend of LMSM leaving the position who were excellent people. Crunch those numbers. Your people should be the most important thing.

Badly Managed Place

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group

Pros

Good uncapped commissions
    Good health benefits
    there is barely enough good to write about this company.

Cons

Unfair and incompetent Management
    Mandatory OT
    Upper Management treats you like children
    Unorganized place
    no advancement
    behind competition
    managemet doesnt listen to ideas

hire new management