Avis Budget Group

There are newer employer reviews for Avis Budget Group

Avis Budget Group in Virginia Beach, VA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location, job satisfaction, environment, management, workload

Cons

Salary, Salary, Salary, Salary, Salary

536 Other Employee Reviews for Avis Budget Group (View Most Recent)

Misleading - I left a great paying/secure job for this????

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good product training
    - Union (but not very strong at our location)

Cons

Not until 45 days into my position did my co-workers (not Managers) finally explain to me the commission structure. If I had been told about the way the commission works at Avis before starting, I would NOT have taken the position. As a Sales Professional, I expect to be paid for my performance. Avis has a structure where you are penalized for randomness.

The structure for commission is as follows: you are to sell to customers coverages (Insurance,) upsells (get them into a nicer car,) and accessories (GPS, XM, etc.) Your target numer formula is as follows: extra revenue / # of rental days. What this means is that if a customer comes up to the counter, and has already purchased a 15 day rental and buys zero extra items, you have 15 big fat zeros into your monthly commission therefore bringing your $ down. This creates all sorts of issues: reps running away from the counter when they see customers with large suitcases (they know they are going to be using the car for a long time,) selective profiling (targeting only out-of-country customers b/c they are more likely to purchase coverages,) and a strong customer resentment knowing that in the end, servicing someone is COSTING YOU $ because they simply decide not to add $ to his/her own bill.

Avis can spin this structure any way they want, but there is no getting away from the fact: if you do not sell something to a customer, the customer takes money away from you personally / not Avis.

Many of the Atlanta location Managers have been in their position for many years and have become lethargic and complacent because of years of being beaten into a conformed role. One Manager in particular was denied a promotion and therefore just 'checked out', yet they have not replaced her. Their has NEVER been a single Atlanta Rental Sales Agent be promoted into a Management position locally. This shows extreme terror in the idea of promoting from within and taking ideas from individuals on the front line.

Understaffed and Manager needs support!!

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees that I worked with were very nice and worked extremely hard.

Cons

I was hired as a rental agent but was asked to wash a few cars until I could be trained to be an agent. I had no idea a few cars meant 60-100 a day! I really should have been briefed a little more on how hard this position is. I am a 46 yr old women. Washing cars everyday, for 8 hours a day is for the young.

Management needs to get out of your office and open your eyes. You have a struggling branch in the Traverse City Michigan area that seriously needs staffing. From the time I interviewed, took the long test, spoke with a representative over the phone and completed my face to face interview there was a 4 month lapse in time. You have a strong manager there that is getting no support from management to help find qualified employees where they are needed. . . car wash attendants. Especially during the summer months. The pay is low for the amount of physical labor involved on a day to day basis for the car wash attendant position. It should be at least $8.50 hour if not more. Another thing lacking is attention to safety in the field. With regards to safe driving practices, MSDS sheets and proper safety related emergency issues should they -God forbid - arise. Also during my employment, I was told how all the rental agents have to get out and help wash cars every summer due to the lack of staffing. This didn't sit well with me at my age. I also was told how you could never be promoted to a manager in the same location of which you were working as a rental agent and this too was a negative for me. This is why I left.
    Signed. . .