There are newer employer reviews for Avis Budget Group

Time at Avis

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a good company overall. The culture is very inclusive.

Cons

You may find yourself the victim of some manager who is trying to advance at all cost.

471 Other Employee Reviews for Avis Budget Group (View Most Recent)

Be Prepared to Work 55 Hours Every Week

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, Managers get a free car with free gas and no insurace cost. Getting a different car every few days is a great benefit.

Cons

As an Operations Manager you will be expected to work a minimum of 5 days a week that are at least 10 hour days. It is very common that you will work between 11 to 12 hours everyday and somedays if you close you will have to wait for late flights and will work 14 hour days. Once you start adding up how many hours you work every week and divide that by your pay check you will figure out you are working for about $10 an hour.

Dealing with a union is challanging. It is very difficult to manage in this enviroment if you have never had to deal with a union before.

There computer systems are way behing the times. They use a system that came from the early 80's. Very difficult to use.

Understand that your employees have lives and they can not work 55 hours every week, Be forth comming with you new hires and inform them of the hourly requirments for the job up front.

Loved my Fellow RSAs, Hated the Job and Management

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Uncapped commission potential, medical benefits, working with fun people, small hourly raises every 6 months to a year

Cons

The Job, The Management--Be prepared to have your every word to the customer monitored for quality control purposes-- i.e The Wheel. If you don't use specific words and phrases you are marked off and observed even more, no matter where your actual sales are at for the month. This is contradictory to their whole philosophy of "use the wheel, but make it your own". If I'm tailoring the wheel to my personality and sales style, then, duh I'm not going to repeat everything verbatim, but you have to sound robotic and customers catch on real quick that you're selling them. It's not subtle at all. Management micro-manages you to the point of driving you crazy. I've never had a sales job where I was so closely monitored in my life. It's really annoying. The customers are hit or miss, the ones that spend money (most Foreigners) and the ones that do not (i.e. Canadians, Govt employees), you're entire career at ABG will consist of you trying to cherry pick the potential good rentals and dodging the counter (even in plain site) to avoid the cheap customers. The customers also are usually very rude, at least 75% of them, and the more you try to sell them with their wheel system, the more irate they usually become from my experience. You will be chained to your computer and station during season, forget about having time in between customers to re-group or re-think your sales tactics or even go to the bathroom very easily, cos you'll be constantly talking to these customers (with no breathing room). In season, mandatory overtime is not encouraged, it's required. It will be apparent that you'll be required to stay later with a mere hour's notice before your shift ends. How long you'll have to stay is anyone's guess, it's up to management and how many more flights are coming in, and they come in super, stupid late. If you're lucky they may notify you as far in advance as 4 hours into your shift when you will be required to do overtime. Favoritism is rampant and blaringly obvious. Really, management doesn't care about it's RSA's at all. They only care about the 2 or 3 people at the top and have their lips firmly glued to these RSA's butts--These RSAs can make their own schedules and run the whole place, keep that in mind, you'll have to be on top consistently for these privileges. Their turn over rate is atrocious, only to be matched by their plummeting market share.

Spend more time attending to the business needs. We are a multi-billion dollar corporation, tell me why we have to hand out xeroxed maps to customers and why we don't have all the paper supplies we need to do our job efficiently, professionally, and with pride?!? Also, treat the good employees with respect and consideration then maybe we wouldn't all be chomping at the bit to get out and perpetually looking for jobs on our off-time.

There are newer employer reviews for Avis Budget Group

Worked for Avis Budget Group? Contribute to the Community!