Avon Products

There are newer employer reviews for Avon Products

Forget About It

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Avon Products (less than an year)

Pros

The products are wonderful. You get a discount on them. The meetings are fun and you earn freebies if you attend them. That is all for the pros.

Cons

Where do I begin? First of all, you don't make any money at all unless you place an order that is over $50, and with a campaign deadline every other week that isn't going to happen. If you do plan on making any money you have to work like a dog in order to meet that $50+ goal.

Secondly, I tried e-mailing my sales leader several times about questions I've had, and she never would respond to my e-mails. I tried calling her too and the phone was supposedly busy. Long story short, you will be manipulated by your sales leaders a lot.

Thirdly, this is a company in which you will actually LOSE money instead of earning it. When you order products for a customer, you not only pay the prices for those products, but you wind up paying a deposit in order to receive them. It is hard to send unwanted products back because Avon charges you (of course) for returns. The chances of being scammed are extremely high - I had a so-called "customer" who placed an online order from my website saying she was doing a photo shoot and there was a list of over $200 worth of products she supposedly needed. I believed it was legit and wound up ordering all this stuff, only to find out I later that had been ripped off. Plus, they will hound you about collections over and over and over again. They will not leave you alone about it unless you pay them.

Sales leaders and management need to get back with their reps in a timely manner when the reps have questions for them. Train your reps better. Stop charging them for every little thing. Extend the campaign deadlines. If reps get behind on their payments, just remind them ONCE about collections and let them be until they get around to making a payment. Change the rule about only getting money back from $50+ orders. Overall, TAKE CARE OF YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!!!!

636 Other Employee Reviews for Avon Products (View Most Recent)

Management nightmare for the last few years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Gratifying to meet representatives whose lives has changed because of Avon (earn a living to provide a better life for their families i.e. get out of poverty, go to college, start their own business)
    - philanthropic company
    - rich history - almost every grown woman/man can remember Avon in their childhood

Cons

Senior Management (last 5 years):
    - frequently not in tune to who their representatives are and what their customers may want
    - have poor communication with their staff
    - introduce strategies that change constantly and never allowed to develop or see results. Change is good, but constant change is not healthy, very scattered and damaging.

Ask, listen and refer to your experienced staff who may know their business better

Work very hard, no money.

Current Employee - Avon Representative in Mexico, MO
    Current Employee - Avon Representative in Mexico, MO

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with people, and the product itself is good, in fact I use their products. Easy online ordering, easy to receive and package products for customers.

Cons

Work and work for incentives, and the company seems to work against the customer representatives. Understandable in view of the dishonesty of people, they have to protect themselves, however, so many rules and fine print makes it hard for the general worker. Online selling has taken away from the one-on-one selling. It is cheaper to order online and get free shipping than to receive products from the Avon Representative.

Look out for the field workers. Local District Manager worked very hard to make things work, however, although I worked very hard to meet deadlines and recruit, it was too discouraging to always "just missed it by one", so no pay. You've lost more than one worker this way.

There are newer employer reviews for Avon Products