Avon Products

www.avon.com

Great place to work...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Entrepreneurial, wonderful people, gratifying work to help women and men achieve financial success, support a great cause - Breast Cancer and Domestic Violence.

Cons

Hard to advance in some departments, antiquated technology, in-ability to listen to employees suggestions to change

Become more agile to address technology changes and trends in market place more quickly. Put some money and focus behind some core products instead of creating millions of one hit wonders. When I left, the old Avon atmosphere of being a friendly place to work where Avon really cared and listened was almost totally gone. That was one of the BEST reasons to work for Avon in the past. Now it has become just a churn of robotic employees.

Other reviews for Avon Products

Avon Products Review

Former Employee - Jewelry Designer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Jewelry Designer in New York, NY

Pros

Very friendly, energetic, professionals. Decent Pay. Good work life balance.

Cons

Lacking in qualified management. Sometimes I don't know why they still have their job.

Make your managers encourage employees to grow and prosper.

No such thing as a DSM advocate at AVON

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Pension, Benefits, Fun Incentives & Prizes (although they are incredibly difficult to obtain and require working 24/7 to even have a slight chance of achieving one), Intermittent Opportunities to Make a Difference in Your Community

Cons

Salaries Not Very Competitive - pray your Division Sales Manager (Divisional) at least grants you a yearly 3% raise.

Hostile Work Environment: Practices of threatening and fear mongering from senior management have lead to an atmosphere of "Dog Eat Dog," have completely done away with camaraderie and team work, and have turned intelligent, talented women (and a few good men) into high school girls scratching and clawing (and lying and cheating) for the top spot of the moment (because at Avon you are only as good as your last campaign results) so as to preserve their job.

Advancement Based on Who You Know - Not How You Perform: It's true that at Avon you are only as good as your last campaign (2 week period) but no matter how good you are it makes no difference if you're not "in" with the right people. Divisionals have most of the power when it comes to advancement of a DSM. Perhaps you are doing well in a District that has been notoriously hard to fill and your loss could hurt your bosses numbers; maybe you embarrassed your divisional once at conference by asking the wrong question in front of her superior; maybe you just remind him of his ex...it really doesn't matter the reason. If she wants you out, eventually, you will be out. If he doesn't want you to advance then it's one chance in a million that you will.

Company Lacks Integrity: they simply are not who they say they are. Period.

District Sales Manager (DSM) Position Not Valued Nor Supported by Company: At conferences you will hear repeatedly how DSMs are the cornerstones of Avon and the most important position in the company. However, in keeping with the above claim that Avon lacks integrity, this statement, wholly in my experience, has proven to be untrue. HR is in the pockets of Division Sales Managers and have absolutely NO alliance to DSMs, even senior leadership within Avon will turn it's head rather than side with a DSM. There is simply no one within this company to whom a DSM can turn for advocacy. Although some within Avon will proclaim other reasons, it's my fervent belief that the DSMs lack of respect and perceived value accounts for the high turn-over rate of this incredibly pivotal position.

No Work Life Balance: Be prepared to never see your family or friends...or dog...again, One of my Mormon co-workers refused to work Sundays and was threatened with her job if she did not...pretty certain that's not even legal.

This Job Will Cost You: Literally, this job will cost you...money, friends, a life, perhaps even a spouse. I cannot tell you how many times I have paid (without reimbursement) for a rental space and refreshments for a sales meeting, incentive rewards for my Representatives, decorations and gifts for holiday parties, my own travel expenses, printing for signs and flyers, not to mention the mandatory Avon order you must personally place every 2 weeks. Budgets are incredibly tight at Avon and depending on your Divisional you may or may not receive enough to cover even the most basic costs to run your district. Your friends, and children will likely forget how you look and your job and it's demands may very well get between you and your spouse as you are repeatedly forced to choose Avon over every important thing and person in your life.

Relations Between Senior Representatives and DSMs Tense at Best: In my experience, our companies hard working Unit Leaders, Advanced Unit Leaders, Executive Unit Leaders, and Senior Executive Unit Leaders are not incredibly fond of the position of District Sales Manager. In fact, two SEUL's advised me against taking this job prior to my choosing to do so. In their words: they had "never seen a happy DSM" in there combined decades of association with Avon. The DSM is increasingly being perceived as an adversary to the Representative. If you happen to be one of the many DSMs who took this job to make a difference for women, families, community, this can be heart breaking if not more than a little disconcerting.

DSMs are your soldiers on the front lines. Each and every one of us are marketers of your brand. If you don't value us, if you do not offer us a REAL line of support and advocacy, if you continue to value Divisionals, and other senior management, over our blood, sweat, and tears for this company, I fear you are doomed to inevitable failure.

There are newer employer reviews for Avon Products.

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!