Avon Products
www.avon.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

They built a house without building the foundation; company in midst of transition though

Global Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

ProsI worked in global marketing and believe the culture at Avon is the biggest pro -- people are genuinely nice, smart, hardworking but fun, and I created a lot of true friendships during my time working there. The quality of product development is quite good, and the pace of innovation means you get a ton of experience quickly across a lot of products and a lot of creative development. The global experience is also very strong -- there are no other NY based beauty companies with the majority of their business being sold in countries like Brazil & Russia. It's an iconic brand to work on and has an incredible global heritage.

ConsThe company grew so quickly under Andrea Jung's leadership, but a foundation was never built to carry the larger size. Despite being a $13B company it is still run as an entrepreneurial venture in a lot of ways. The pace of innovation and the ability to launch or discontinue items at any time (unlike the two sales windows available with mainstream US retailers) sets the stage for a lack of commitment to launches, which means swirl and rework ongoing. During my four years there the level of decision making that happened within mid/low levels vs senior management differed based on my manager at the time, so I don't think there's consistency there. Beyond some of these operational issues, obviously there are barriers to direct selling being a successful business model in western markets in general. Big hill to overcome. With all that said, there is new leadership running the company over the last 1 1/2-2 years and I have hope that they will force positive change.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your core high margin, profitable products and drop the gimmicks (cheap fashion, halloween decorations, generic tupperware, etc); along with that you may be able to drop your lowest performing sales representatives and increase company value and customer service.

Best place to work

Associate Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avon Products full-time

Pros: Family life and work life balance Cons: Disorganized management, needs improvement in management Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Love Avon!

I have been working at Avon Products

Pros: AVON has great products with reasonable pricing; it practically sells itself. There is a product for everyone. … Cons: Many times products are not available for order even though they are advertised in the catalog. Items are also discontinued often.… More
There are newer reviews on Avon Products.

Worked for Avon Products? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avon Products reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avon Products CEO Sheri S. McCoy. All reviews posted anonymously by Avon Products employees.