There are newer employer reviews for Avon Products

Overcharged, not appreciated, never mentored

Former Employee - Representative
Former Employee - Representative

I worked at Avon Products

Pros

- Discount on products you purchase for yourself.

- Demos you can purchase to show as samples to customers (or to keep for yourself).

Cons

- Received items I never ordered. And had to pay for because Avon refused to take them back or credit me.

- Online invoice would say one thing, then the order comes in and the paper invoice says another. Which means either my customer pays more than they were expecting to or I take a loss.

- Was unable to return unwanted products (and thus having to take a money loss) because Avon would not accept them.

- When I would call customer service to address these issues, no help was given. Was told "that's the way it is".

Advice to Management

Bring the customer service reps for the selling reps back to America! It is very hard to understand them and they have no compassion and don't want to help. See the cons I listed. My mother sold Avon in the early 90's and she NEVER had these issues.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fast paced environment with people who care about the work that they do

I have been working at Avon Products

Pros

Fellow associates are pleasant to work with and often assistance with projects. Size of the R&D facility is small enough so that it is easy to get to know all the key players. Most of the associates seem to possess an enthusiasm for their job.

Cons

Fast turnover of products creates an assembly line approach to R&D. This makes it difficult to be truly innovative. Or at least difficult to reach the full potential of a new discovery.
    There often seems to be a disconnect between what the Departments in NYC want and what R&D can deliver.
    Benefits seem to be less than comparable employers.

Advice to Management

Release R&D from reporting directly into Marketing. This creates a situation where people who don't understand science and innovation are trying to direct those who do.

A long term employee who once enjoyed my job, I now think maybe I should have found another job years ago.

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Avon Products

Pros

The people you meet, helping Reps realize their potential and reaching their goals.
    Having a company car. Some great products. Mostly I would say it is the people you meet and build friendships with.

Cons

No work life balance. It is almost 24/7 and the pay does not even come close to all we have to endure. No open communication, no respect and no solutions to the amount of harrassment and poor Leadership of some Division Mgrs. The unrealistic expectations are part of the problem and coming up with incentives that are difficult to achieve only adds stress to the stressful job we have. Not trusting us to do our jobs, coming up with more things to take up time and blaming us for everything is not the answer. Times have changed, people have changed and Upper Management thinks the business is like it was 10 years ago. It's like a panic reactive mode every week. Taking away open boundaries has a big impact on growing your market share. When your job depends on that, it's hard to grow the business when someone lives on the wrong side of the road. Especially challenging when you have Leadership Representatives that you spend a great deal of time training and developing having more than half of their recruits going into a neighboring district. I don't think upper Management has a clue of just how difficult our jobs are and how different people are today. There is so miuch time spent on appointments that people don't show up for, phone calls to people who don't want to be bothered and resolving issues that customer care should be able to resolve but can't because half of the time no one can understand anything being said.

Advice to Management

I think Avon Upper Management should all have to work in the field for a couple months to see what it is we endure each day. Have open communication with the field, not a sugar coated story. I think most people are too afraid to ask or say anything because at this time jobs are too hard to find. A lot of great people have left Avon and it seems like the people who are coming in don't have a clue. Some of the people left are just hanging on or are so obsessed that they treat everyone else with little respect.