Axcient

There are newer employer reviews for Axcient

Challenging Environment, Great Employees

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Axcient full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an engineer who worked here for 3.5 years, it has been an extremely satisfying experience. Axcient started as a core team of deeply committed individuals with a goal of building something great. After growing like gangbusters for the first few years, the company is off to the next stage of development. Even at this stage, you get a strong sense that people are willing to go out of their way to help each other. You don't get as successful as Axcient has in a small amount of time without growing pains, but that's the life of a startup. The market is huge, and there is still tons of room for growth. I would recommend this company to others seeking to grow his/her reputation and career.

The people with boots on the ground will always have your back.

Cons

As a startup growing 300%+ a year, processes can't keep up with demands, and this is where communication is key. Engineering experienced a period of time where it was process-heavy.

Focus less on process, and double-down on on building a great product. Narrow the strategic focus to key areas because the company is still growing.

36 Other Employee Reviews for Axcient (View Most Recent)

Great company/culture. Will work harder than you every have before.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Axcient full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, team-oriented culture. Free lunches, good atmosphere, great people. Dogs are allowed at work. Low politics, challenging, big opportunity. I liked the people I worked with more than anything.

Cons

Lots of work. Not a company for those who want to coast or are used to hiding in the crowd. Sometimes I think the company could slow down a bit, but I also understand that the management team is trying to build a big company in a short period of time.

Keep being transparent with employees. We feel better when we know what is going on and where we stand.

Great Opportunity to do Interesting Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Axcient full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The standards for sales, marketing, engineering and support are kept very high. This makes it an attractive place for those who want to do top-quality, interesting work at a cloud company. The VPs are a fantastic group of people who are very dedicated to their goal of disrupting the backup and recovery market. The Board of Directors is strong. The CEO is young (in his 30s) but incredibly smart and capable. The people I worked with were very talented and the opportunity to learn and grow is there.

Cons

The same high standards that are a "Pro" make the environment difficult for some. Changes were made in the past 9 months that caused turnover in sales and marketing, which was hard for many people. Some mistakes were made.

Keep listening to employees and showing appreciation -- to everyone, not just the single monthly employee award winner. While the ability to make changes quickly is important for a startup, it's still important to consider the impact of changes and get input from direct reports in order to maximize success and minimize attrition.

There are newer employer reviews for Axcient