Martini

Current Employee - Trading Manager in Wakefield, England (UK)
Current Employee - Trading Manager in Wakefield, England (UK)

I have been working at B&Q

Pros

flexible hours, great team spirit and variety in roles on offer.
no two days are alike, makes a refreshing change from similar employers.
very good at treating people as individuals, and do support promotion from within as well as change of location.

Cons

lack of staff, the industry is in a downturn and this is leading to cutbacks, understandable but frustrating.
customers expect every member of staff to be an expert in every section, some retail jobs are just shelf stacking and standards, but b&q employees are seen as expert decorators/plumbers/electricians/joiners etc, even if they are only employed to work on a till.

Advice to Management

the recent trend towards getting back to basics is the right decision, but has suffered from the overtime ban and lower levels of staff over recent times. would be much more successful with even a little flexibilty in terms of paying overtime.
the recent improvements in standards may be unsustainable if staff feel they are covering the shortfalls in staffing levels.ie non customer facing staff having the standards of a shop floor aisle being the basis of their appraisal.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

b&q is ok but not good

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at B&Q

Pros

the first reason is the company is Near my apartment. i want the short time on the work way. If there is long time on the way, i will fell tired. the sceond reason is salary is not too low. if i compare other people get lower salary i will be a little satisfied. and i have not interview in the other company. i have not found a company that is satisfied. interview is also very hard. of course there is no other company hire me.

Cons

there is low salary and no chance for promoting

Advice to Management

help the employee have enough salary

2. Great starting point for a "REAL JOB"

Former Employee - Showrooms Customer Adviser
    Former Employee - Showrooms Customer Adviser

I worked at B&Q part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's simple to apply, it treats even low level employees with quite a bit of respect. I was able to learn anything i wanted to about the store our systems and sales skills in general, working there for just a few mouth's opened TONS of doors for me to do other things.

Cons

Pay was pretty poor, don't let it become who you are. My personal manger was very hands off I felt he wasn't very productive in general and was much more worried about his future then the stores.