BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

www.baesystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems Applied Intelligence

Leadership team are without a rudder

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great individuals who care about making a difference.

Cons

Lacking the leadership skills and direction of Messrs Black and Evans, the current leadership are struggling in vein to constantly re-organise the company in a futile attempt that such actions will bring about a dramatic drive in growth the parent company have been expecting.

Fall on your sword, before you run what was once a good company into the ground.

165 Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems Applied Intelligence (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Former Employee - IT Support Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - IT Support Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting, challenging & great people to work with.

Cons

the pay was not the best

Not a bad place to work but has some integral cultural issues and appalling business processes

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compared to other companies I have worked for, Detica is a more relaxed environment on the whole. The new London office at the BlueFin Building (opposite Tate Modern) is situated in an impressive location (but does have its downsides). Work is varied, there are many social activities. You are provided with Kit Kats, fruit everyday and free beer every month.

Cons

Detica has major cultural problems. It is based on an antiquated hierarchical system which dehumanises its company soul. You will tend to find that in the more senior positions (Senior Manager upwards) that these individuals have been moulded into someone who has a massive sense of superiority and has lost touch with there roots. As an example, on all of the projects I have been involved with many of the Senior Managers, Executive Managers and above have never said a word to anyone in the delivery teams even on projects lasting 6 months+.

Indeed, I have been in the lifts, kitchens and other social areas of the offices with the CEO and senior management team who do not even acknowledge your presence (unless you are of a worthy rank). If you believe everyone deserves the time of day, or like me is happy to talk to anyone you will wonder what has happened in this organisation.

You would certainly expect more charisma from senior management teams, setting an example to others. Not talking to people because they offer no perceivable value to your promotion or sales tagets does not inspire your workforce.

Certainly, in several startups in which I have worked (and you will see this in companies like Facebook) they operate flat hierarchies where superiority goes no further than your job title. Offices are mixed up, 'important people' don't all sit in their little offices sharpening their pencils.

I must say, at the ranks Consultant to Principal Consultant, you will rarely see this behaviour. It seems to be something 'learned' by those who are interested in aggressive promotions and linear corporate progression.

In terms of career progression, Detica like many other consultancies has poor career opportunities beyond Principal Consultant. The drive is to make everyone an Account Manager / Salesman which as we all know is not what everybody wants. This is why many of the best people I have worked with leave at PC rank. If you want to progress in an area of expertise I am afraid you will have to quit and go client-side.

Get off your high horses - nobody cares if you are Executive Senior Director Leader Man of the Sausage Dog Department. People respect you because you have done great work, have excellent leadership and are inspiring to others. You don't need to act like you are the Lord Earl of Snozzleberry.

The senior management team (CEO downwards) should certainly look to engage more with all employees regardless of arbitrary rank. Ask them questions, find out what makes them tick. They should lose there sense of superiority. If they are good at their job they will already have respect - there is no point in taking a superior stand point. We are all on planet earth together living our little lives. Making better relationships with each other is the future and will make better companies - I have seen this with my own eyes.

Finally, talk to the housekeepers, the security guards, people in corporate functions - this won't help you reach your sales targets or get promoted but it will make you a better person and Detica a better place to work.

There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems Applied Intelligence