Pretty Satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

Stability and pretty good pay, plus interesting work. I think that I work with lots of interesting people who are smart and hard workers. The division that I work in does lots of interesting research projects which are sponsored by DARPA. This is exciting work which keeps me engaged. I like the management. They seem to be actively pushing the envelope when it comes to management. Expectations are clearly communicated and my yearly goals are usually in line with general performance excellence. I like that we hire lots of women ( where lots is a few ... but this is the engineering field).

Cons

Don't like current ethics trial. Its an embarassment. We do work a lot of hours from time to time. It would really help if I had a PhD. Sometimes a technical solution is dictated by management for marketing reasons. One problem is that if someone is not performing then its hard to fire them. The corporate parent is really afraid of turnover. They want you to give someone every chance to turn it around before pushing them out. I myself don't really believe in that so I see it as a drawback. Sometimes people are nitwits, but I think you see that in any job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. New to the company, but so far....

Current Employee - Senior Lead Systems Administrator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Systems Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

They give you the ability to move around within the company. They post internal jobs for their employees, and if at some point you want to move up the ladder, it's easier to do so without having to leave your company.

Cons

They are in the middle of a corporate wide IT restructure, and as such their departments are in a mess right now. Also, they give out bogus titles to their employee's. Instead of going with industry standards, they let job titles come to them in a dream. Most people don't care about this sort of thing, but it could be something that hurts your resume at some other point in time.

On another note, if you don't like to travel, stay away from this company, because being in the IT department, EIT, or BAE-IT, you will be on travel. I don't mind it, as I get to see places I've never seen or thought I would get to see.

Advice to Management

Stop handing out three-four word titles that make no sense, and as always listen to your engineers. When you are an engineer, and your title gets changed to "administrator" it's degrading.

BAE Systems is not the friendly place it once was.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

The work is state of the art technology with a diversified product line. Employees are friendly toward each other and for the most part are willing to help others. After the first year employees get two weeks vacation as well as a week off between Christmas and New Years.

Cons

Too much overtime without compensation. Management typically underquotes work by taking risky approaches to solutions. It is the employee who assumes the risk when the job becomes over budget and behind schedule by being forced to work substantial uncompensated overtime. In the past, an employee could take time off for past uncompensated overtime. Under the current organization this is no longer possible.

Advice to Management

Quote new work realistically and stop forcing employees to work uncompensated overtime to make up for poor assumptions. Quit the semi-annual reorganizations your making us look stupid.