There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems UK

Pretty Satisfied

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

Stability and pretty good pay, plus interesting work. I think that I work with lots of interesting people who are smart and hard workers. The division that I work in does lots of interesting research projects which are sponsored by DARPA. This is exciting work which keeps me engaged. I like the management. They seem to be actively pushing the envelope when it comes to management. Expectations are clearly communicated and my yearly goals are usually in line with general performance excellence. I like that we hire lots of women ( where lots is a few ... but this is the engineering field).

Cons

Don't like current ethics trial. Its an embarassment. We do work a lot of hours from time to time. It would really help if I had a PhD. Sometimes a technical solution is dictated by management for marketing reasons. One problem is that if someone is not performing then its hard to fire them. The corporate parent is really afraid of turnover. They want you to give someone every chance to turn it around before pushing them out. I myself don't really believe in that so I see it as a drawback. Sometimes people are nitwits, but I think you see that in any job.

Keep it up.

109 Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems UK (View Most Recent)

Wandering in the cubicle wilderness

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager.  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager. in Herndon, VA

I worked at BAE Systems UK

Pros

You could not show up and it wouldn't be noticed...and you could still get paid. Easy to bond with other disillusioned employees. There is some real talent, but not recognized and appreciated. Best to find an "insider" early on who knows the ins and outs.

Cons

No direction. Everyone off doing their own thing. Kepp quiet, stay low and out of the line of fire. Unhappy customers calling ALL THE TIME. No jeans allowed., except "neatly pressed" ones the first Friday of the month. Promised an office, I sat in a dirty cubicle that had been used for storage. No office supplies, I bought my own and co-workers stole them. I left after 90 days, just ahead of layoffs.

Get in touch. Participate. Be part of the solution and not the problem. Why do you think you should be promoted up and not your employees?

New to the company, but so far....

Current Employee - Senior Lead Systems Administrator  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Systems Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

They give you the ability to move around within the company. They post internal jobs for their employees, and if at some point you want to move up the ladder, it's easier to do so without having to leave your company.

Cons

They are in the middle of a corporate wide IT restructure, and as such their departments are in a mess right now. Also, they give out bogus titles to their employee's. Instead of going with industry standards, they let job titles come to them in a dream. Most people don't care about this sort of thing, but it could be something that hurts your resume at some other point in time.

On another note, if you don't like to travel, stay away from this company, because being in the IT department, EIT, or BAE-IT, you will be on travel. I don't mind it, as I get to see places I've never seen or thought I would get to see.

Stop handing out three-four word titles that make no sense, and as always listen to your engineers. When you are an engineer, and your title gets changed to "administrator" it's degrading.

There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems UK

Worked for BAE Systems UK? Contribute to the Community!