BAE Systems UK

www.baesystems.com
  www.baesystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems UK

Cleared Engineer? Look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Chief Computer Monkey
Former Employee - Chief Computer Monkey

I worked at BAE Systems UK

Pros

The paycheck, decent benefits, mostly friendly coworkers.

Cons

Horrible management (if you can call it that) and more interest in filling contracts than making sure the employee is a fit for the position.

Get your act together!

118 Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems UK (View Most Recent)

One of the better defense contractors to work for.

Current Employee - Project Specialist
    Current Employee - Project Specialist

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

It's a job. The company caters a lot of lunches; we never go hungry. We get perks/small gifts like shirts, mugs, calendars, stress balls (they come in handy), bags, etc. The company designs and builds pretty cool vehicles. We have a test track and shop where these vehicles are built. We have high level visitors that come to visit our site and take tours. We devote a lot of time and energy into company and employee safety. We have the first LEED certified company building in San Jose. Unlike other defense contractors, cell phones and electronic devices (such as ipods) are allowed in the buildings. We can even access our personal email websites, etc.
    We have the Performance Share Plan so when the company does well, we get money for it.

Cons

It's defense. You never know what will happen to the funding...especially now since Obama is in office. There are a lot of contractors that work here and if you make one small error (as a contractor), you will be fired. Even as a direct, full-time employee, like myself, I am scared of losing my job over some stupid, silly, minor reason. Like if I come in to work at 8:15 instead of 8:00 am. I am salaried, not hourly, with no set time schedule, and I still feel like I am going to be punished for little things like that.
    Some websites are blocked due to bandwidth issues, that is a downside.

Communication is key. Make us feel appreciated. We don't. Give us room for growth. And give us reassurance that our jobs will be okay. Standardize practices. Draw up policies that work across sites. Take time to get to know us better, you might like what you find out about us. You can't pick and choose which meetings you want your direct reports to attend: my direct manager never invites me to her staff meetings or lunches, but all of her other direct reports are invited. That is just messed up.

In regards to organizational changes, make them faster and get the word out to employees. A lot of people are in limbo when these changes happen, but do not go into affect for months.

Good place to work for a person not wanting a career but a good work life balance and no need to take work home

Current Employee - Systems Engineer (A Dogsbody) in Warton, Lancashire, Lancashire, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at BAE Systems UK

Pros

You dont get stressed working at BAE (there's no point)
    You get six months sick leave
    You get a works canteen with reasonable food (sometimes)
    You are more likely to recover from a heart attack (due to own ambluance service)
    I.e. good work life balance

Cons

Few career prospects in engineering.
    Too much inertia company has too much legacy in terms of bad practice dead weight etc.
    Boring job
    Bad person management

Software will destroy BAE one day (possibly soon).
    Get rid of the fixed top techincal grade (from a population dynamic perspective it doesn't make sense)

There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems UK