There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems USA

Challenging work with good people in the trenches, but frustrating upper management structure.

Current Employee - Senior Lead Secure Systems Engineer in Stafford, VA
Current Employee - Senior Lead Secure Systems Engineer in Stafford, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on some of the best projects for the Federal Government Exposure to quality people Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Constant, and I mean CONSTANT, re-organizations. Upper management churn leaves you wondering who's left. Very easy to "go native" at a client site as there is little activity tying resources at client sites to the organization (other than occasional emails, paychecks and submitting time cards).

Advice to Management

Think about unit cohesion, not just butts in chairs. Stop the brain drain. I've seen too many talented people get frustrated and leave the company because we're either too cheap (you have to pay for quality), or we lose contracts to low-bid competitors. I know the latter is hard to do, but there has to be a way. We can't all be CGI or Mantech.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

BAE provides many opportunities to advance your skill sets and professional education.

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training opportunities and a decent benefits package.

Cons

There is a perception that "staff greening" is a common practice.

Advice to Management

Stated or unstated, make it explicitly clear that you want people who are best qualified and that the company is not age or gender driven.

2. Fairly stable company with decent benefits and work/life balance.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Nashua, NH

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work in a corporate function (e.g. Finance, IT, HR, Procurement, etc.), there is a good work/life balance, for the most part. I can't speak for the rest of the company, though. Much of the company operates on a 9/80 work schedule, including their Electronic Systems' business sector (headquartered in Nashua, NH) and Land & Armaments sector (headquartered in York, PA). The other business sectors (Intelligence & Support in VA, and Support Solutions in MD) work regular 40-hour week schedules. Insurance benefits are not as good as years past, but the health plan is comparable to many other companies' plans. As of 2014, all US-based employees have the option of 3 different health plans, based on your health needs. Also, if you work for the ES or L&A business sectors, your tuition assistance is up to $15k a year (the rest of the company only gets $5,250/year). Also, the company finally began leaning corporate functions 2-3 years ago, so the company is better organized now, with employees now specialized in particular functions.

Cons

Salaries are mediocre, unless you did a great job negotiating when you were first hired (or you lucked out with a fantastic, supportive manager). Also, there are still too many layers of management (who knows what some of these people actually do all day?).

Advice to Management

Stop rationalizing operations only to add more Director or VP positions that aren't needed. Pay attention to employees' education and background when considering salary adjustments.