There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems USA

Office politics to the extreme

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There used to be exciting projects on the site, but government cutbacks and moving parts of the projects to other sites killed most of that. Many talented individuals were lost in this process. Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime. Most of the senior management and tech leads were great people. Very easy to talk to and generally cared about anything you brought to them.

Cons

I dealt with a lot of bad-mouthing behind my back and to my face but in another language. I would often hear my office neighbors insulting all the other coworkers in languages they couldn't understand. Making fun of their weight, abilities, etc. A few of the people on the team could not code at all but be a senior coder on a project. They would argue a lot about random things they obviously had no idea or proof about. Like any defense company, you will be doing a lot of paperwork. Far more paperwork than coding. There were several instances of lazy contractors on various teams there. Not all the contractors were lazy, many were good. The terrible ones, some would disappear during the day but claim a full days worth of work. Others would be snoring in their cube.

Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems USA

1. Great place

Pros

Friendly people, pay 401k, vacation

Cons

Defense industry has made a big impact on layoffs.

Great Experiance

Former Employee - Contracts Administrator II in Endicott, NY
    Former Employee - Contracts Administrator II in Endicott, NY

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive atmosphere. Expected a lot but provided resources to meet goals. Positive corporate culture.

Cons

Experience is manager dependent. Procedures are mostly tribal knowledge.

Advice to Management

Advance support of lower-level employees. Empower with delegation of authority and responsibility.