Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary is competitive. People are down to earth.

Cons

Hours are challenging at times. Be prepare to be flexible to succeed.

Advice to Management

Always value work life balance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

An OK company with plenty of opportunities for improvement and potential for greatness.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are highly skilled, very talented, and yet remain down to earth making for great people to work with. The group is tightly knit and works hard to achieve the mission. Local managment are great and completely supportive of the group keeping it together through the many ups and downs of the industry. The group is productive and loves what they do.

Cons

The organization is a network of sites that are like patches needed to form a quilt. The task of integrating these patches to form the quilt remains unfinished. Many discontinuities exists leaving a piece-wise organization in place. Organizational assimilation and integration of the many smaller companies acquired that form BAE is blatantly lacking. Evidence of a plan for assimilation and integration to accompany the mass acquistion growth strategy adopted by the company is not available or apparent. The resulting and growing gap presents itself in disconnects between company sites, executives/upper managment and site management, and the workforce as a whole. Poor or lack of communication throughout the hierachy abounds creating poor executive and upper management insight into overall operations and the workforce, underperformance, poor or lack of true/active executive support for programs, disparity of business process, token quality control or quality assurance, a distrust of leadership in general, a culture of "every man for himself", and job ambiguity coupled with compensatory inequity. Reorganizations, restructuring, and attrition are rampant and routine here.

Advice to Management

Opportunity and potential for greatness abound just as much as the cons mentioned above. In order to realize the vision of maturation into the industry leader in aerospace and defense or viewed as a most desirable place to work the company must act on the opportunity and potential. Small changes over time make a significant difference. Here is some advice:

1. Assimilate and integrate the business to achieve synergies, scales, and efficiencies.

2. Take an executive interest in the workforce and invest in it- active employee development, career tracks, unbiased and equitable compensation schemes (not the current gamed/company defined compensation curves/indices), active support of programs and efforts directed towards efforts that will enhance profitability.

3. Stop feeding company propaganda and feel good pep talks to the workforce. Instead show the workforce the company cares about retention and future growth by feeding investment $$ to the workforce.

The returns on taking these actions and making such investments in the company and its workforce in the form of capabilities, competencies, stainable competitive advantages, a truly engaged workforce and most importantly more business and larger profit margins are invaluable and will propel the company onward and upward towards being the world class aerospace and defense company it has a vision to be.

No reward for hardworking, innovative, changing Generation Y

Former Intern - Technical Intern in Nashua, NH
    Former Intern - Technical Intern in Nashua, NH

I worked at BAE Systems USA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good when I was there. Upper management was also at least trying to formally gain feedback from employees in order to get on the "Great Place to Work" list.

Cons

Their values are not people-centric. You can still make an excellent profit with focusing on the benefit to people - employees, customers, everyone. While their model worked for them and many great companies in the past, BAE is not innovating fast enough in terms of their business, culture, and targeted markets.

I interned with this company the summer right after high school and had an excellent time. I was invited back to work for the same manager the next summer. I hope I am not coming off too resentful, but this is coming from a person who was fired as an intern the exact day after I scheduled a sit-down with my manager to discuss branching out and using my time if I finished work early to dabble in different departments that were more applicable to my major. He brought me in the next day on a Friday and said that they found someone else to complete the work I was assigned. I actually knew other people in the company that knew my work ethic and they found me another position mid-summer, but this previous manager closed out my badge (even though he said he would keep it open for the summer in case I did end up finding another position) so the HR process would have taken too long before I had to go back to college. It's just disappointing and that should never happen.