BAE Systems USA

Good solid company

Former Employee - Design Engineer in York, PA
Former Employee - Design Engineer in York, PA

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Good solid company. Great work environment and people. The defense industry is slow moving compared to the auto industry, for instance, but it's the same at General Dynamics and all the others. Lots of contractors fill the teams - some good, some bad - like anywhere else. I wasn't there long enough to comment on long-term viability but BAE at this location was hit with layoffs after I left... then again, so were many other defense companies.

Cons

At the time I was working there they had terribly slow, incredibly inefficient CAD (Pro/E) data storage/management networking. I don't say software because I've used Windchill at other companies, but the infrastructure and networking setup between BAE and their other Michigan location was dreadful. I'm talking 20 minutes to pull a relatively simple assembly.

Don't be afraid to let crappy contractors go and pat the good ones on the back.

830 Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems USA (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Engineer - Prin Sys in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer - Prin Sys in San Diego, CA

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Challenging work, great people, excellent benefits. Ability to move easily throughout the company and between business units was wonderful. Worked with some very intelligent and talented engineers. Genuine interest in and attention to the customer bottom line.

Cons

Offices is a cube farm! And many of the labs are cramped. No ability to grow and build customers. The company has endured many transitions over the 10+ years I have worked there, yet senior management seems to deteriorate each time. Fortunately the worker bees are amazing! I was impressed with Dr. Straeter (Head of the GDE San Diego division) who walked the halls and spoke to staff with genuine interest in what they were doing. After he left it was a successive downturn in quality of mgmt.

Encourage innovation that's what made the company great long ago and will allow it to recover again.

I like working here but the layoffs have been mismanaged

Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement
    Ability to jump into new roles across the national organization
    Training is emphasized

Cons

Layoffs (albeit necessary) have been severely mismanaged
    Communication from Division President level with respect to direction of company is very poor
    Leadership engagement with lower staff is very low and seems forced when it IS present

Share your goals wihth organization in more than a mass email. Include us in the decision making, show how we are part of the organization direction.

There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems USA