BAE Systems USA

Fun job

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Test Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Great variety of development and test work between different projects. Always seemed like something new coming along to work on. Very friendly and helpful coworkers and middle management.

Cons

Santa Clara site is slowly being closed. Little work to do at the end of my job made it boring. A lot of government bureaucracy made many projects move along very slowly.

799 Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems USA (View Most Recent)

Building products that you can be very proud of

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Respected products
    Exposure to important products and people

Cons

Poor Communication
    Poor quality of life
    No bonus or financial compensation for mid-low levels

bonus or financial compensation for mid-low levels

They just don't care about the employees and the Nashua, New Hampshire location is running the show.

Current Employee - Production Worker in Greenlawn, NY
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Greenlawn, NY

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

9/80 workweek. Every other Friday off. Interesting products. A lot of very talented people who really know a lot in their fields.

Cons

Management decisions are made at the Nashua, New Hampshire location. They call the shots. In each pay grade, the minimum and maximum salaries on average have a range of about 40k, so if your minimum salary is 30k and your maximum is 70k then your midrange salary would be 50k. The company now views the mid range as your maximum salary. (Where your salary should be). No more raises after that point. Maybe a bonus now and then if you do more than what is expected of you.
    If you do exactly what is expected of you at your job, you are regarded as a "Crank Turner" by management and do not get a raise because you did not go "Above and beyond" the call of duty.
    Layoffs happen frequently. About every 3-6 months. Sometimes a couple of people and sometimes a lot of people. They used to call it a "housecleaning", which originally got rid of the people that deserved to get laid off (referred to as dead wood) and then it changed to the people that were making good money. Imagine being with a company for 30 years and then they let you go and you are out there at age 55 trying to start your career over. Not too easy to find a job at that age.
    They do have a "Boys club", so if you are one of the lucky few to be part of it, then you can move up in the company a bit, even if you don't do a lot of productive work.
    They have incentive programs, where you can put in suggestions for improvements. The company will review these suggestions and if it is determined that your suggestion could potentially save the company money, you have the opportunity to get a free winter ice scraper for your car or a band aid holder box. As a reward, someone from Management will get an all expense paid trip (vacation) to a foreign country to accept the award for you. A new "Hampshire" program is now in place, so I'm not sure what to expect now. I'm hoping to get one of those hats that has the beer can holders on the sides.
    Work is being taken away and sent to other locations. We are constantly reminded of how we should be thankful that we still have a job and that it is expensive to operate a business on Long Island. (So we don't expect too much as far as raises, Holiday parties, picnics etc., which we no longer receive).

Recognize the talent that you have, because if you don't, that talent will go somewhere else. With the direction that this place is going, I don't see the Greenlawn location being around 5 years from now.

There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems USA