BB&T

www.bbt.com

Conservative company in a changing world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits. Occasionally work from home at individual manage's discretion. Professional membership
dues paid. Did not need TARP money.

Cons

Very siloed company. Little cooperation or compromise across departments.
Many promotions are completely mystifying (who you know). Upper
management very plugged in to good ol' boy network (it's a southern
company).

Be bolder, especially in the areas of technology and acquisitions.

Other reviews for BB&T

Trust no promises. Get as much pay and signing bonus as u can before accepting job.

Current Employee - Financial Center Leader I  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Center Leader I in Falls Church, VA

Pros

It's hard to get fired other than for ethics. Upper mgmt will treat you like a human being and not just a number. You will definitely get the training that you need. Maybe even more than you want. As long as you want to stay in the retail banking roles, there is plenty of opportunity. After the financial center leader role for your branch you can progress to the sales and service leader role where you are in charge of 16 branches. After that role is the regional banking manager role who control 77 branches in my region. Don't want to do management after being a financial center leader? No problem! There are other roles if you are a "high performer". You can become an auditor or merchant services rep or mortgage loan officer or whatever. The key is performing above average but mainly being well liked and to get into all the cool circles. Sounds high school I know but it worked for me and many others. Does senior mgmt think your fun and cool is number 1. Performance is number 3. I'm still figuring out number 2.

Cons

The pay has to be the lowest I've seen in regional and mega banks. People leave here to get a minimum 20% higher than what they were making. One person left here making 50k (FCL I)so they can go make 75k at PNC. As for career growth, it is difficult right now to get out of the retail banking role. Also since everyone is so young, it will be a while before a position opens for the Sales and service leader role. I must also say to not trust any promises. Get it in email/writing or don't believe it. They will string you along for years on the same promotion promise.

Stop holding people back from leaving the retail banking role. Stop jerking us around about pay. For some reason, pay is not seriously increased until you think about leaving the bank. Have clear tangible goals for each branch location. Location does matter especially if you only speak English.

It was amazing! BB&T is positive, full of integrity and challenging.

Current Employee - Commercial Finance Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Commercial Finance Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

-Great pay for college student
    -Beautiful office
    -Challenging work but guided through it
    -Friendly, helpful employees who are willing to teach you

Cons

-Very strict about hours (going over or under)
    -Not very structured until I asked for structure!
    -Quite alot of downtime, asked them for work at times

BB&T leadership should continue with what they have been doing! They are amazing! very friendly leadership and encouraging people. Loved my time there

There are newer employer reviews for BB&T.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!