great place to work

Former Employee - Relationship Baker II in Germantown, MD
Former Employee - Relationship Baker II in Germantown, MD

Pros

can change positions after 12 months, good job growth

Cons

must work well with management

Other Employee Reviews for BB&T

Beware - Accept an IT job here if you're desperate

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Very good 401k plan. They match 100% up to 6% of your salary. 40 days of "sick" time broken down into specific categories - sickness in family, personal sickness, and about 30 more categories.

Cons

- the work environment depends on who you work for - they have this thing called "management discretion" which means whatever is in the policy manual is simply a suggestion and the managers can basically do what they want - NO training, but if you want to take courses at the local tech college go for it. Plus they won't reimburse you and you probably won't get to work in your area of study - LIMITED ability to transfer to other departments. If you're lucky enough to pass the HR established requirements, then you get to apply for 1 position every 3 months. - NO significant raises. IT's been on the 0% to1% path for several years now and you practically have to walk on water to get 1% - unlimited overtime. you are welcome to work as many hours as you can for salary with minimal comp time. Again, it all depends on which area of the company you work for, but there are more IT areas that are similar to what is described here - but there are rumors of happy employees and good managers.

Advice to Management

There are too many levels of management and too many divisions of IT. Upper level management needs to be stream lined. This probably would get IT on the same page.

2. Trust no promises. Get as much pay and signing bonus as u can before accepting job.

Current Employee - Financial Center Leader I in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Center Leader I in Falls Church, VA

Pros

It's hard to get fired other than for ethics. Upper mgmt will treat you like a human being and not just a number. You will definitely get the training that you need. Maybe even more than you want. As long as you want to stay in the retail banking roles, there is plenty of opportunity. After the financial center leader role for your branch you can progress to the sales and service leader role where you are in charge of 16 branches. After that role is the regional banking manager role who control 77 branches in my region. Don't want to do management after being a financial center leader? No problem! There are other roles if you are a "high performer". You can become an auditor or merchant services rep or mortgage loan officer or whatever. The key is performing above average but mainly being well liked and to get into all the cool circles. Sounds high school I know but it worked for me and many others. Does senior mgmt think your fun and cool is number 1. Performance is number 3. I'm still figuring out number 2.

Cons

The pay has to be the lowest I've seen in regional and mega banks. People leave here to get a minimum 20% higher than what they were making. One person left here making 50k (FCL I)so they can go make 75k at PNC. As for career growth, it is difficult right now to get out of the retail banking role. Also since everyone is so young, it will be a while before a position opens for the Sales and service leader role. I must also say to not trust any promises. Get it in email/writing or don't believe it. They will string you along for years on the same promotion promise.

Advice to Management

Stop holding people back from leaving the retail banking role. Stop jerking us around about pay. For some reason, pay is not seriously increased until you think about leaving the bank. Have clear tangible goals for each branch location. Location does matter especially if you only speak English.