There are newer employer reviews for BB&T

Not the great place it use to be to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

BB&T provides excellent benefits. The company is in a relatively strong financial position and growing.

Cons

With the growth that has occurred lately, the client center focus that BB&T has been known for is now second to earnings and goals. It is starting to feel very similar to many of the big banks. The culture is changing from the top down.

Focus needs to be placed on taking care of your good employees. Senior management should consider the financial and psychological impacts of them receiving large bonuses and stock options as the mid-level management works to get a 1 to 2% salary increase. The culture is changing from client centered to a policy and product driven culture.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great benefit, great dream of bonus, but horrible at recognizing issues

Former Employee - FCL III
    Former Employee - FCL III

I worked at BB&T

Pros

The benefits are expensive but expansive. Many different options when it comes to retirement planning and insurance. Also competitive business products.

Cons

If you don't mind working 6 days a week and 13 hour work days, please apply to this company. I used to work for this company and it was difficult to even have a home life outside of BB&T. They were not concerned about anything but the bottom line, with unattainable goals and ridiculous incentive plan. When I started I was intrigued by the rigorous training program and the opportunity to earn half my salary in bonuses. Well that was all I got, training and a dream. Brainwashed to learn the culture and expected to live it in my everyday life. Basically live for BB&T. So if you choose them, don't fall for the dreams they sell.

I have none as if management would listen anyway. Then again, stop focusing on the three legged stool of how to make profits, instead get back into the customer service business and help people.

Worst Bank in Town Since 1872

Former Employee - Financial Center Leader I
    Former Employee - Financial Center Leader I

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Training and opportunities for professional development. BB&T has not officially moved to a "centralized lending" environment, so they still provide lenders with the knowledge to effectively originate and decision loans.

They still offer a very competitive Benefit Package, but it can be expensive in relation to salary.

Cons

Due to a lot of the changes in the banking industry in the last few years, BB&T like many other banks has had to revamp their fee structure, and cut many of the "perks" that they provide to employees. On top of that they have had to cut employees altogether. This leaves the branches very thinly staffed, causing more work for the remaining employees, and ever decreasing client service levels.

If you are even thinking about becoming an FCL, realize that your position in the bank is a tenuous one. Be ready for 11- 13 hour days of dealing with employee issues, client complaints, and appointments. Not to mention the fact you will be responsible for getting new business clients and managing the ones you have, making sure that the branch is profitable, filling about 30 different product buckets, and manage the relationships with all of your IRM partners (basically you find all of the referrals for them).

There are call nights once a week (until 7), outside events that you have to attend (during non work hours), and don't forget Saturday hours. If that doesn't make your head spin, you SSL will constantly ask you to do just a litte more for the good of the team. What team? After all of that you may be just lucky enough to get a bonus once a year, that equates to about $300.00 a month bonus. I personally don't think the headache is worth it. While they are on par with large banks for salary, you may find that smaller institutions pay better (In some cases much better).

Lastly, the amount of propaganda and group think in this company is embarrasing. Grown people having to recite BB&T's client service mantra over and over again like zombies when talking to clients, is redundant and ridiculous. Reliable, Responsive, Empathetic, and Competent. WHATEVER!!!! Can't be RELIABLE, because your boss tells you that its your job to be out of the branch all day instead of being there to service clients. Its hard to be RESPONSIVE when you never have any staff, and you are running around trying to put out "fires". EMPATHY is difficult, when you know that its about the bank's needs and not the client's (You NEED this online banking- eventhough you don't have a computer). Being COMPETENT is difficult when you are trying to do the job of 5 people with no support, and insufficient time to complete the task. I can't tell you how many late nights I have spent alone in a bank branch, just trying to catch up on work from the day so I wouldn't start out the next day behind.

This company has no work life balance...BB&T has to be your world in order to be successful. If you are successful then CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Your reward for working hard is... MORE WORK (with no more money)!!!!

In closing, BB&T may have once been a great bank and a great employer, but that BIG BANK feel is creeping closer by the day.

Stop acting like BB&T is in this business to help people. Just be honest and admit its all about the money

There are newer employer reviews for BB&T