There are newer employer reviews for BB&T

Not the great place it use to be to work

Pros

BB&T provides excellent benefits. The company is in a relatively strong financial position and growing.

Cons

With the growth that has occurred lately, the client center focus that BB&T has been known for is now second to earnings and goals. It is starting to feel very similar to many of the big banks. The culture is changing from the top down.

Advice to Management

Focus needs to be placed on taking care of your good employees. Senior management should consider the financial and psychological impacts of them receiving large bonuses and stock options as the mid-level management works to get a 1 to 2% salary increase. The culture is changing from client centered to a policy and product driven culture.

Other Employee Reviews for BB&T

1. Great benefit, great dream of bonus, but horrible at recognizing issues

Former Employee - FCL III
    Former Employee - FCL III

Pros

The benefits are expensive but expansive. Many different options when it comes to retirement planning and insurance. Also competitive business products.

Cons

If you don't mind working 6 days a week and 13 hour work days, please apply to this company. I used to work for this company and it was difficult to even have a home life outside of BB&T. They were not concerned about anything but the bottom line, with unattainable goals and ridiculous incentive plan. When I started I was intrigued by the rigorous training program and the opportunity to earn half my salary in bonuses. Well that was all I got, training and a dream. Brainwashed to learn the culture and expected to live it in my everyday life. Basically live for BB&T. So if you choose them, don't fall for the dreams they sell.

Advice to Management

I have none as if management would listen anyway. Then again, stop focusing on the three legged stool of how to make profits, instead get back into the customer service business and help people.

If you are looking into retail banking turn the other direction and run.

Current Employee - Financial Center Leader I
    Current Employee - Financial Center Leader I

Pros

Good public perception, strong capital levels, 6% 401k match, pension.

Cons

POOR technology base. Relatively low salary and 2% or less annual increases (if you get one at all). Branch managers and their employees are brainwashed and cannot successfully complete work load. Service mentality has become overrun with sales first, sales second, service third. Unrealistic goals. Incredibly confusing goal structure, even the creators do not know what's going on most of the time. Upper-level management suffers from a huge disconnect. With record profits, many of us wonder where all the profits go to, it sure doesn't to go salaries of the front line employees. Retail managers are annually reviewed/promoted by regional managers that visit branches maybe 8 times or less a year. I work 50++ hours a week for a salary that is at least 20k lower than the average competitor.

Advice to Management

There is no point in giving advice, the company is so silo'd they would never here my faint suggestions. Stop trying to be a small bank when all you care about is growing into the next BofA...without the tech, infrastructure and support.