There are newer employer reviews for BB&T

Technical Role Assumes Admin Duties

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Greensboro, NC
Current Employee - Analyst in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Great benefits, co-workers and competitive pay. Depending on your manager and your level of performance, you may be micro-managed, or allowed a bit of freedom to complete your duties. Managers I've worked with have always made an attempt to grant your vacation or make work hours flexible to accommodate your personal life.

Cons

High level of attrition and, like many other companies today, they are focused dearly on the bottom line - meaning you're expendable. Given the losses we've sustained, much of the work has been pushed onto the already full plates of other teams and groups, even if the tasks are not even remotely related to your job description.

Fully fund IT - it's the future of the bank and is one field in which we are deficient compared to our peers. Start being proactive instead of reactive - take a chance every now and then and try to be a leader in technology and new services offered. Develop new campaigns - compared to other peer banks, our advertising and marketing is a joke.

513 Other Employee Reviews for BB&T (View Most Recent)

Scheduling

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

The benefits are what you would expect from a commercial bank. They do have a program that enables you to get your health insurance at a reduced rate if you go meet with a health nurse and she(he) counsels you on better living. They might advise you to lose wight, quit smoking etc.

Cons

The biggest downside is Plan-it. I am part time but never know until Friday what my schedule will be for the next week. In my experience most banks usually have set schedules for there employees; not BB&T. This would be a major factor in me seeking other employment. I am good at my job I know how to do all the Teller Supervisors work (more than our full-time who does only paying and receiving functions and show no initiative.) I have been told these other duties have been given to me because they doubt the full-time's competence.

I think in order to obtain and keep good employees the scheduling policies should be reevaluated.I know in the current economy some employers don't mind taking advantage because they feel like employees are disposable. (As a matter of fact one AOO is of this opinion. She characterizes tellers as "dirt under her nails")

"Banking in A Bubble"

Current Employee - Teller  in  Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Teller in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

BB&T provides a good entry way into the financial industry for people who are looking to get into banking. It is a very family oriented company where everyone knows everyone else, and they genuinely seem to care about their workers. They have an amazing system for dealing with life issues, and the time off given for illnesses is unmatched.

Cons

Growth potential at BB&T is very limited especially on the retail side. The L.D.P. is their flagship program but it requires a multi-year commitment and the pay is low compared to industry averages. BB&T encourages fierce loyalty to the organization by maintaining a managed flow of information from the outside, coupled with a way of disseminating information to employees that is not always accurate. The best way I could describe it is "banking in a bubble", where no matter what happens within the bank or in the industry, BB&T is still the "best bank in town".

Management should recognize talent and work hard to cultivate it, rather than be complacent and allow that person to be picked up by another financial institution. Also don't try to "white wash" information before relaying it to employees. We are all big boys and girls, just give it to us straight. Lastly, hire more people. "Plan it" is a joke. You are burning your T.S.'s, tellers, and R.B.'s out.

There are newer employer reviews for BB&T

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!