BBC

www.bbc.co.uk
  www.bbc.co.uk
There are newer employer reviews for BBC

Incredible brand and talented indivduals, but a frustrtating and political environment

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BBC

Pros

The brand, the output, flexible working, talented and committed individuals.

Cons

Political, frustrating, slow, siloed, bitchy.

Simplify structures, follow through on what you say, don't just promote/ recruit in your image.

169 Other Employee Reviews for BBC (View Most Recent)

Stay too long and you'll lose your edge

Current Employee - Project Manager - Software Development in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BBC

Pros

A great deal of professional respect comes from having been associated with the BBC - in other words, it looks good on your CV.

The BBC do large scale web-technology well and you can learn a lot about how this has been achieved if you get into the right team and are around the right managers.

The BBC still build most of their audience facing web technology themeselves; only a small number of development projects are outsourced.

Cons

The culture is part university and part civil service. There is very little fear of failure because there is usually no consequence of failure. If you are coming from the private sector and are used to working with commercial goals in mind, then you might not want to stay too long for fear of losing your edge; apathy can be infectious.

There is little empowerment at the BBC and as a consequence, decisions are hard to come by and get reversed and switched all the time. Project goals change on a daily basis as one manager's will view is suddenly overruled by another's! You get used to it, but in your heart you know it's pretty dysfunctional.

There is an unmistakable whiff of entitlement pervading the place too - with very little evidence of any of it having been earned.

To try and change the BBC's culture would be akin to rewriting the Bible - in other words, there would be an outcry! The BBC is the way it is because a lot of people like it the way it is. It's an easy place for a lot of people, but the pay for permanent staff is proportional - i.e. not great.

Management needs to fix the dead-wood-in-the-workforce problem. This is largely a consequence of hiring experts at every turn and not nurturing the skills of permanent staff...and you don't have to hire more experts to do this!

A "safe" place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at BBC

Pros

The BBC is a great place to work if you want to learn new technologies, have job security and are comfortable with bureaucracy. There was a wonderful internal focus on making sure that the British public were well served. Many colleagues are exceptional at what they do and the BBC worked hard to support the personal and professional development of their staff.

Cons

Even if you don't join the union, your pay rises are already determined by them. Short of accepting a promotion, your salary is what the union negotiated. This means that there were fantastic employees who were getting the same percentage salary increases as awful employees. And because of the union, awful employees would often be transferred from department to department rather than let go. I finally left after several years of pay rises less than inflation. My job reviews were always fantastic, but I didn't pursue promotions because I didn't want to get into management in their bureaucracy. As a result, while they said they were very happy with me, my salary stagnated. As for the union employees, some of them seemed more concerned with having a job than doing one.

While I had a decent salary, most regular employees are paid below market rates. This is largely due to political pressure and the BBC is having trouble attracting and retaining top talent as a result.

There are newer employer reviews for BBC