There are newer employer reviews for BBVA Compass

Most days a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Birmingham, AL
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Not from Spain, not moving up. Corporate world. Spend millions on processes and systems, but stingy with raises

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A solid company to work for.

Current Employee - Teller in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Teller in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at BBVA Compass part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very grounded. Since it is based out of Spain, not much of the US economics threaten the company. It is located in over 31 countries.

Cons

The salaries are not the most competitive and raises are capped at 3%

Advice to Management

Although I have been with the company for 3 years, it is difficult to stay dedicated when there are other opportunities available at a higher pay.

Good ideas, bright employees... poor execution

Current Employee - Commercial Relationship Associate in Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Relationship Associate in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair to good pay, commensurate with experience. High level of exposure to upper management. Good effort on behalf of management to cultivate a good work atmosphere (specific focus on becoming a "100 Best places to Work" company). Specific to the market in which I work (Southeast Texas) I have experienced a very high caliber of employee. Company vision to become the "Best Universal Bank in the U.S" is appealing.

Cons

Technology is terrible which was not initially viewed as a difficult barrier to overcome, however a minimum level of system functionality and reliability is required to be productive. Job specific training leaves alot to be desired. FAR too many initiatives to manage and implement properly. The void between the policies, procedures, products, and services offered by the three primary lines of business (retail, commercial, and wealth management) is appalling since the bank considers itself a relationship bank... read this comment as the right hand doesn't even know the left hand exists. No community banking model (all holes at BBVA Compass are round which leaves lots of perfectly good square pegs laying around without a home).

And now for a strictly personal issue that I was never able to overcome: I came up through the retail side of banking, having done literally every job in a branch from working the teller line to managing a branch to covering a region as a business banker. Upon my most recent transition to commercial banking I was very disappointed to learn how most of the commercial bank views its retail brethren. If I heard the comment "retail idiot" once I heard it a hundred times and it became harder and harder for me to resist the urge to comment to the contrary.

Advice to Management

Management's stated goal of retaining talent in 2012 is very forward thinking because the bank is becoming an increasingly difficult environment to work in.