There are newer employer reviews for BC Ferries

Some good people in this shop

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Software Developer in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BC Ferries

Pros

If you're looking for a stable job, this is the place for you. There is a move within the IT department to move to fairly contemporary technologies (SOA, ESB, BPEL, etc). So, good experience is possible to get.

Management is well intentioned to improve development processes, products, and services to customers.

Cons

This is an Oracle heavy shop. If you don't like using Oracle products and tools, this is not the shop for you. This shop has a bit of a cowboy legacy which management is slowly trying to replace with more formal processes (allocating appropriate development and testing environments).

Listen a little more to your people in the trenches when it comes to schedules, technological decisions, etc. (This is pretty typical for most big corporations).

7 Other Employee Reviews for BC Ferries (View Most Recent)

BC Ferries

I have been working at BC Ferries

Pros

good wage, good training especially in safety

Cons

micro managed by to many supervisors with to little to do other than harass their staff.

Know how to work and manage people.

Great Culture, Great Pay

Former Employee - CSSR  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - CSSR in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at BC Ferries as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great employee benefits and the pay is not shabby at all. I work as a seasonal employee and was paid around $20/hr not to mention i got a free ferry pass which I used frequently adding up to over $1000 in travel. The culture is great and it will be a very rewarding experience. This was not a ship board position so I can't comment of that.

Cons

BC Ferreis is a very debated organization so be ready to deal with angry or upset customers who are "sick of paying to much" And if your not the person who enjoys a stung corporate culture and enjoys a lot of autonomy in your job this may not be the place for you.

There are newer employer reviews for BC Ferries

Worked for BC Ferries? Contribute to the Community!