BD
www.bd.com Franklin Lakes, NJ 5000+ Employees

Deciding to leave was one of the best decisions I've made.

Engineer (Former Employee)
Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD

ProsDecent benefits, anyone not in a management role was great to work with, nice facilities (dry cleaning, cafeteria, gym, picnic tables outside for warmer weather, etc).

ConsEverything not mentioned in the "Pros" section belongs here.
There is NO plan for sustainable, long-term growth. Every engineering project in Medical-Surgical Systems (BD's largest business unit) is nothing more than a cost-savings initiative when you get down to it. Even the "new" products they're rolling lately out are just lower-cost options.
Management is so risk-adverse that new ideas are essentially frowned upon. They would rather wait for the next big idea to take off somewhere else, and then force their engineers to work around another company's patents to come up with a competing product, or simply buy the company with the big idea. In many ways, management did not trust their engineers to come up with ideas and new products.
Management constantly complained about money issues, even though the company had just made record profits.
Higher education was valued to a fault. There is no reason for someone with a Ph.D in Engineering to be doing menial tasks that even a half-witted intern could do in their sleep.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf BD's management really wants this company to succeed again, then they pretty much all need to leave. Management, from the lowest level, to the top, pretty much all need to go. There are a few exceptions, but they are honestly what is wrong with BD.

Long-term stability with limited to no opportunity for growth

San Jose, CA

I have been working at BD

Pros: Nice, well-educated colleagues, opportunities for community volunteerism Cons: Projects are consistently late, too much beaurocracy, technology outdated Advice to Senior Management: Value your people, when selecting leaders try looking from within No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

BD is a Great Place to Work

Senior Systems Analyst (SAP Finance) (Current Employee)
Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD

Pros: Competitive Salaries, Good Oppurtunities for Professional and Career Growth, Strives to be one of the Best Places… Cons: No longer a 8-5 job and most often Overloaded with Work and quite often required to work on Weekends /… Advice to Senior Management: IT Management - Too much stress on documentation and compliance even in non-regulated functions… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on BD.

Worked for BD? Contribute to the Community!

BD – Why Work for Us?

At BD, we’re helping people live healthy lives through the power of medical technology. And we need dedicated and driven professionals like you on our team. Join us and you’ll be part of a leading global manufacturer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BD reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BD CEO Vincent A. Forlenza. All reviews posted anonymously by BD employees.