Great company, bad pay

Former Employee - Member Consultant
Former Employee - Member Consultant

I worked at BECU full-time for more than a year

Pros

-4 weeks PTO
-ethical organization to work for
-great benefits

Cons

-no sick leave, any time you take off due to sickness is counted against your attendance
-sales goals are not achievable except by the select few who will get the "right" member to get more loans
-working Saturday's
-not enough staff, there is always a 30-60 minute wait daily
-high turnover
-very poor pay
-unless you have prior experience, it seems almost impossible to advance to a different position

Compensate Member Consultants more competitively. They are the ones who bring in the members for the rest of the organization to have jobs. Restructure PTO to include sick leave that will not go against attendance. Hirer more staff and pay them better so they stay longer. Educate members that they can go to the branch nearest them for anything-they don't have to go to Everett or Tukwila to do a car loan, etc. Allow Member Consultants to grow into other positions on the back end.

Other Reviews for BECU

Overworked and underpaid - lack of opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Member Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Member Solutions Consultant

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Outside of the branch level, people seem to really enjoy working for the company. BECU does really care about it's members, and let us make the best decisions for the member. I've learned a lot about lending, loan origination, deceased accounts, small business, IRA's and many other aspects.

Cons

However, with all the above that I learned...we're not compensated for that. The role is EXTREMELY diverse and has a lot of responsibility wrapped all into one role. But to be extremely proficient takes literally years. Also, I can't reiterate enough, over worked and underpaid. Most branches are understaffed. Finally, goals leaned more towards sales without being "fully" compensated. I came from another FI where I cross sold way less products and services and made nearly 20k more a year.

Simply put, reevaluate the pay structure for your consultants. When branch goals our ranging into the 10 plus million dollar range a year...compensate your employees proportionality to correlate with those goals. They would be happy to do it because BECU does have the best products and services, but maybe a little more focus needs to be made on the employees, as well as the member. Try to be more connected to what the role actually entails. Take an entire day and sit at a busy branch on a Friday during lunch...and take it all in.

OK

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Great compared to banks when it came to rates and service

Cons

Slow to change to meet competition

Improve systems

There are newer employer reviews for BECU.

Worked for BECU? Contribute to the Community!