There are newer employer reviews for BECU

Was once a good company, was heading in the wrong direction when I left

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA
Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, decent PTO accrual.

Cons

They own you. Expected front line employees to attend these rediculous early morning quarterly meetings. This is very difficult for employees who have families. They want you to work overtime, working weekend events at least 4 times a year (at the time I left, may be more now). As it is we had to work bankers hours then requiring us to work multiple events on the weekends and outside regular business hours is not conducive to having a family

When I was hired it the job description "soft sales" (I was hired in 2007) by the time I left in late 2009 it was very sales driven. While I was successful in it, I hated every minute of it. They wanted us to push sales, loans, loan insurance on members with unrealistic goals. This is supposed to be a credit union, not a bank but it is now a bank. In the end when I decided to quit, I gave my notice before I was leaving for vacation (big mistake - I was trying to be nice and give plenty of notice). They made me quit that day since I was on vacation and stole half of my vacation time from me because I was not fully vested. If you work here, use all your PTO before you give notice, otherwise they will take it from you.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Stop pushing sales and focus on members needs not your own greedy ways. This company used to be good before it got so big. Go back to the old business model.

reviews filtered by
  1. Don't be fooled, it's really a bank

I have been working at BECU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits and high level executives really do want the best for staff

Cons

They promise more then they intend to deliver. Management tends to give poor reviews so they don't have to pay bonuses. Everything comes back to sales numbers. ALL they care about is selling. If you want to do well suck up and rub elbows. Be careful, most people are trying to climb and will take you down if necessary. 70% of the staff are from banks. They talk about work life balance but no delivery.

Advice to Management

Don't forget your roots.

Over rated unless you are VP, Director, Manager, Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees under middle management all really care about members. Good employee benefit in terms of vacation/sick leave.

Cons

Lots of micro managing, If you cannot "keep up" you are out the door. The "fun" is only for those who play the game ( LOVE my Management Team), if not, you get dropped on the unemployment line. Lots of favoritism. Notice all the anonymous ratings are out of Tukwila? There is a reason for that. FEAR.

Advice to Management

Hold ALL Management Accountable just like the employees.Stop using that fake scoring system every year. Perhaps, Less management as a whole; and more Employee governance of themselves. They are Adults treat them as such.