Great People, Good Work/Life Balance

Former Intern - Intern in Tukwila, WA
Former Intern - Intern in Tukwila, WA

I worked at BECU as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on a temporary basis at BECU and wish I could have gotten hired on full time. I really enjoyed my co-workers and there appeared to be nothing but professionalism and teamwork there. I worked hard and so did everybody else, but we all went home on time. There's a gym on site, the Green River trail nearby and loan discounts.

Cons

Wish it was closer to the light rail.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. BECU is getting larger and employees are starting to get stressed.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Incredible Work Environment- Learn from the Pros!

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at BECU as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The executive management was incredible to work with and valued all opinions. Great corporate atmosphere. Corporate values and responsibility are fantastic. Very local company.

Cons

I wish there had been more recognition for the ideas they successfully used and compensated a bit better

Advice to Management

More community outreach to youth.

2. Was once a good company, was heading in the wrong direction when I left

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, decent PTO accrual.

Cons

They own you. Expected front line employees to attend these rediculous early morning quarterly meetings. This is very difficult for employees who have families. They want you to work overtime, working weekend events at least 4 times a year (at the time I left, may be more now). As it is we had to work bankers hours then requiring us to work multiple events on the weekends and outside regular business hours is not conducive to having a family When I was hired it the job description "soft sales" (I was hired in 2007) by the time I left in late 2009 it was very sales driven. While I was successful in it, I hated every minute of it. They wanted us to push sales, loans, loan insurance on members with unrealistic goals. This is supposed to be a credit union, not a bank but it is now a bank. In the end when I decided to quit, I gave my notice before I was leaving for vacation (big mistake - I was trying to be nice and give plenty of notice). They made me quit that day since I was on vacation and stole half of my vacation time from me because I was not fully vested. If you work here, use all your PTO before you give notice, otherwise they will take it from you.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Stop pushing sales and focus on members needs not your own greedy ways. This company used to be good before it got so big. Go back to the old business model.