BECU

Not a bad place to be.

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at BECU

Pros

There are a lot of good people there. Some of the investment-side work can be lucrative (if you can get it). There are some good leaders who know how to make things exciting. BECU is committed to finding new ways to bring more to its members. BECU's customer products are constantly being updated with new features and enhancements to help customers receive more benefits and have a better experience managing their BECU accounts. This makes the atmosphere a bit better than it is at some other places (when working with customers). It's a much better place to work than some of the alternatives in the industry.

Cons

You probably won't get extremely rich. You may not get too much fulfillment from your work, depending on where it is you work and whom you work with.

Don't forget to talk to people and be willing to implement their input.

43 Other Employee Reviews for BECU (View Most Recent)

Great company, bad pay

Former Employee - Member Consultant
    Former Employee - Member Consultant

I worked at BECU full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-4 weeks PTO
    -ethical organization to work for
    -great benefits

Cons

-no sick leave, any time you take off due to sickness is counted against your attendance
    -sales goals are not achievable except by the select few who will get the "right" member to get more loans
    -working Saturday's
    -not enough staff, there is always a 30-60 minute wait daily
    -high turnover
    -very poor pay
    -unless you have prior experience, it seems almost impossible to advance to a different position

Compensate Member Consultants more competitively. They are the ones who bring in the members for the rest of the organization to have jobs. Restructure PTO to include sick leave that will not go against attendance. Hirer more staff and pay them better so they stay longer. Educate members that they can go to the branch nearest them for anything-they don't have to go to Everett or Tukwila to do a car loan, etc. Allow Member Consultants to grow into other positions on the back end.

Overworked and underpaid - lack of opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Member Solutions Consultant
    Current Employee - Member Solutions Consultant

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Outside of the branch level, people seem to really enjoy working for the company. BECU does really care about it's members, and let us make the best decisions for the member. I've learned a lot about lending, loan origination, deceased accounts, small business, IRA's and many other aspects.

Cons

However, with all the above that I learned...we're not compensated for that. The role is EXTREMELY diverse and has a lot of responsibility wrapped all into one role. But to be extremely proficient takes literally years. Also, I can't reiterate enough, over worked and underpaid. Most branches are understaffed. Finally, goals leaned more towards sales without being "fully" compensated. I came from another FI where I cross sold way less products and services and made nearly 20k more a year.

Simply put, reevaluate the pay structure for your consultants. When branch goals our ranging into the 10 plus million dollar range a year...compensate your employees proportionality to correlate with those goals. They would be happy to do it because BECU does have the best products and services, but maybe a little more focus needs to be made on the employees, as well as the member. Try to be more connected to what the role actually entails. Take an entire day and sit at a busy branch on a Friday during lunch...and take it all in.

There are newer employer reviews for BECU