Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at BET full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have some of the best benefits I've seen a company offer. Up until a couple of years ago, they covered 100% of your healthcare premiums and your cell phone. They have company BBQs, special summer leave hours. Some departments really have excellent management where they properly challenge their people and grow them as professionals (I fortunately work in one of them). The offices were just remodeled and are really nice. Flexible with working hours when you have to manage things in your personal life. LOTS of friendly fun people to work with, a really nice overall work environment. Pretty good bonuses for the average Joe compared to most companies. I have felt like I have been treated really well and have been nicely compensated, but I work my butt off for it (I like being busy, so that is a postive for me).

Cons

Some senior managers/execs in the company are complete tyrants. I feel for the people that work for them, there is LOTS of turn over in those departments, some even leave on their first day. I've seen it happen a number of times. That is why I couldn't give the company 5 stars (I would have only given it 3 & 1/2 if it would let me) because that behavior is tolerated if not condoned on some level since they continue to let it happen. There is a bit of an over reach in expectation for people to constantly work very long hours for extended periods of time without additional compensation or recognition. It can be really hard to get promoted from lower positions in the company. It is VERY top heavy with VPs, SVPS, who get outrageous bonuses compared to what the worker bees get, especially at the parent company Viacom. I think the whole planet knows how much the Viacom CEO gets in bonuses, and that kind of pay for one person is obsurd in my opinion. The last thing is the headquarters are located in a sketchy part of DC. There are virtually no options for getting lunch except for a crappy cafeteria. It's okay, and resonably priced, but eating there every day can get old in a hurry. Going out for lunch isn't usually an option because it takes over an hour to get anywhere decent and back.

Advice to Management

Lose the tyrants so you stop losing good employees because they have terrible bosses or get burned out from working 10-12 hours days for weeks on end. Recognize and reward the people that give a d@mn and bust their @sses year over year and are a pleasure to work with. Have all of your managers take lessons from the really good ones you have.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Intern ad sales/production

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at BET as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience with potential to network

Cons

Falling network in show ratings

Advice to Management

Daily 15 min power meeting with youthful interns and employees about developing great marketing,branding and show concepts that apply to the 16-25 demographic

The brand is solid but the environment was toxic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BET

Pros

Solid company with steady growth in the marketplace. Incredible brand recognition. Strong media offerings to clients and a valued brand by viewers.

Cons

Up until recently this was an incredibly toxic office with no work life balance and abusive management. Staying until 10pm everynight whether you had work or not seemed to be the only thing that was valued.