BHP Billiton

Ideal

Current Employee - IT/Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Current Employee - IT/Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton

Pros

I've never before worked at a company that does more to show that it cares about its people, the communities it operates in, and the environment. I'm proud to work here because they make an effort to treat their employees fairly and compensate them handsomely. They don't cut corners or put profit ahead of safety.

Cons

Despite being one of the world's largest companies, it seems like hardly anyone (in the US at least) has heard of them. I have to constantly explain that, no, we're not BP. Sometimes, I feel we need a little more PR.

253 Other Employee Reviews for BHP Billiton (View Most Recent)

There is too much process. Innovation cannot exist.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton

Pros

Great benefits and long term stability. Long term career path can be promising for those desiring to have a single company career.

Cons

Too much process. The company is run like a machine. Governance is needed, but BHP goes to the extreme.

Recognize that your people have lives . Even though the company allows for a work /life balance, the unwritten expectation of management does not allign.

Stay away unless you desperately need the money

Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at BHP Billiton

Pros

- Good salary, bonuses and benefits, significantly better than peer group
    - Good office location in the Galleria area of Houston
    - Workload is light: you will not be expected - or empowered - to achieve very much

Cons

- Extremely bloated process-driven bureaucracy where you need to ask several layers of management permission to do anything
    - No pretence towards merit-based performance management, everything is politics
    - Dissatisfying work environment: unless you tell your managers what they want to hear, you will be punished (i.e. "perception is reality")
    - Lack of diversity: women and minorities are under-represented and under-appreciated
    - Unhealthy obsession with budget activities and managing earnings, surprising for a company with such a large market cap.
    - Petroleum CEO is a micro-manager who insists on seeing and deciding on every little thing, no matter how trivial

Management needs to take responsibility for the high attrition rate, and change the 1930's management style. Professional people in the oil industry do not want to be treated like prisoners on a work release program. Lighten up!

There are newer employer reviews for BHP Billiton