There are newer employer reviews for BHP Billiton

Rewarding work, amazing opportunities and competitive conditions

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Melbourne (Australia)
Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with intelligent, driven, passionate people. I believe my contributions and hard work are appreciated and I am well compensated for them, I get great satisfaction from seeing the impact of my work. So many opportunities both in Australia and overseas. Our Charter (values) is not just paid lip service but is part of our culture, we are treated with respect and senior management on the whole lead with integrity. Extras on top of good base salary include additional superannuation options, share matching schemes, bonus pool, employee assistance program, parental leave, development opportunities etc.

Cons

Conservative culture - slow to make change and adopt new ideas/practices. Size of the organisation means it can take time to get things done. Because so many people are driven to do well in their careers, and so many high performers, there is a tendency to work very hard/ long hours which can be exhausting over prolonged periods of time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Strong all-round experience for new starters with very competitive salary and allowances.

Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Mackay (Australia)
    Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Mackay (Australia)

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Varied experience, recognition both internally and externally and exposure to growth opportunities as well as to meaningful projects.

Cons

Very bureaucratic and terribly slow business processes can get in the way of performing the actual job. Compared to engineering consulting firms, little experience in the way of intellectual stimulation.

Advice to Management

Improve internal communication processes to speed up work. Also reduce the dependence on contractors for nearly everything.

Kloppers culture is killing the company

Current Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits (but no guarantee that you can keep them) - International experience - Still has a good reputation in the industry

Cons

- Singapore salary packages not family friendly - Very cyclical management style - Way too much bureaucracy and process, monster SAP system - Anal rukes and procedures

Advice to Management

Please live your values, add some colour to the organisation and listen to people who know what they are doing. Don't change strategy every 4 months.