Excellent People to Work With

Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Victoria, TX
Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Victoria, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here will talk about how much they enjoy BHP as a company, their co-workers, and office environment. They promote mainly from within, and they really take stock in how you are as a worker, and how much you contribute. Time off is extremely easy with the location I'm at, though I've heard it's different at corporate. I love my boss and the other people I work directly for.

Cons

The outsourced third-party service desk. It's painful.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my boss, you keep on keeping on!

Other Employee Reviews for BHP Billiton

Challenging, Rewarding, Draining....

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced dynamic environment with no shortage of opportunities for early to mid career professionals. Compensation seems fair or better, and I do believe middle and upper management care about their people.

Cons

An immature organization who has grown quickly and the dust is stil settling. Lack of focus on top priorities. Too many initiatives, not enough people. No resource management takes place and there is a lot of talk about work life balance, but at the end of the day you have work you have to get done. Do not expect a 40 hour or a 45 hour work week will be sufficient. 9/80's are offered but seems that on average you can only take about half of your 9/80's as there is too much work to be done. Significant organizational structure changes in regular 6 month intervals.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your resource constraints and reduce your initiatives to only top priorities or you will continue to lose good people. Also consider KPI's that promote success cross functionally rather than only within your organizational group

Over-worked, over-stressed, take a pass

Former Employee - IM Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IM Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$2 lunch for employees Pay/benefits are good

Cons

no work life balance Long hours lots of stress bad management deceptive management lots of politics no sense of responsibility no sense of accomplishment

Advice to Management

I was lied to by my manager on several occasions Management does not communicate enough There is not work life balance Management does not set priorities (other than everything is number 1). Processes are too cumbersome.