BHP Billiton

There are newer employer reviews for BHP Billiton

...All the Little Children

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Pay seems to be above average. Some small incentives. Very easy to do nothing; great place for people who want to hang out and get a paycheck. Freedom in geosciences to collaborate and research with almost any group.

Cons

9/80 work week is touted, but not everyone can take advantage of it fully.

Prepare for almost continual decrees of change from upper management. Company is trying to “do it all” operating its onshore shale assets, but needs to let go and save face before they self-destruct. “Culture” is handed down like a lead pipe from greybeards from Australia. Common for management to treat employees like a child; lots of unnecessary hand-holding.

Ingratiating yourself upon middle management a must for recognition and advancement. Career progression and opportunities are proffered and available, but almost impossible to get. Lots of turnover and attrition. About as close to government job bureaucracy as one could find in the private sector. The company has often and openly compared its own environment to that of “Calcutta in summer” – think about it.

Almost medieval segregation between techs/admins and geoscientists. Subsidized lunches are similar to food one might receive in a concentration camp.

Don’t try to pretend that because you’ve done well in offshore you can run an unconventional business. If you can’t compromise on your high and mighty Australian ethics then let someone else operate your onshore. At the least, let your employees with shale experience lose to get things done.

254 Other Employee Reviews for BHP Billiton (View Most Recent)

It was a good company butt it is falling apart.

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time

Pros

Good salary and good benefits.

Cons

The culture is terrible. When I was hired a few years back the culture was great, but as BHP Billiton takes more of an iron fist with every aspect of the business the culture has disappeared. They treat the majority of the employees like numbers and all the red tape takes so much time it makes it very difficult to do the job. Almost every department is under staffed with the exception of the short range planning which has an over abundance of employees. Many of the departments are experiencing high turn over rates and management seems to be doing nothing about it. Special perks are only given to a select few departments.
    The company only seems to work in silos and there is very little collaboration, which leads to ineffective use of talent.

Treat employees equally. It takes more than one department to run a company. The new CEO wants the culture to change. Hopefully he is effective at this.

Excellent People to Work With

Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Victoria, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Victoria, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone here will talk about how much they enjoy BHP as a company, their co-workers, and office environment. They promote mainly from within, and they really take stock in how you are as a worker, and how much you contribute. Time off is extremely easy with the location I'm at, though I've heard it's different at corporate. I love my boss and the other people I work directly for.

Cons

The outsourced third-party service desk. It's painful.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my boss, you keep on keeping on!

There are newer employer reviews for BHP Billiton