...All the Little Children

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Pay seems to be above average. Some small incentives. Very easy to do nothing; great place for people who want to hang out and get a paycheck. Freedom in geosciences to collaborate and research with almost any group.

Cons

9/80 work week is touted, but not everyone can take advantage of it fully. Prepare for almost continual decrees of change from upper management. Company is trying to “do it all” operating its onshore shale assets, but needs to let go and save face before they self-destruct. “Culture” is handed down like a lead pipe from greybeards from Australia. Common for management to treat employees like a child; lots of unnecessary hand-holding. Ingratiating yourself upon middle management a must for recognition and advancement. Career progression and opportunities are proffered and available, but almost impossible to get. Lots of turnover and attrition. About as close to government job bureaucracy as one could find in the private sector. The company has often and openly compared its own environment to that of “Calcutta in summer” – think about it. Almost medieval segregation between techs/admins and geoscientists. Subsidized lunches are similar to food one might receive in a concentration camp.

Advice to Management

Don’t try to pretend that because you’ve done well in offshore you can run an unconventional business. If you can’t compromise on your high and mighty Australian ethics then let someone else operate your onshore. At the least, let your employees with shale experience lose to get things done.

Other Employee Reviews for BHP Billiton

Excellent People to Work With

Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Victoria, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Victoria, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here will talk about how much they enjoy BHP as a company, their co-workers, and office environment. They promote mainly from within, and they really take stock in how you are as a worker, and how much you contribute. Time off is extremely easy with the location I'm at, though I've heard it's different at corporate. I love my boss and the other people I work directly for.

Cons

The outsourced third-party service desk. It's painful.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my boss, you keep on keeping on!

Challenging, Rewarding, Draining....

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced dynamic environment with no shortage of opportunities for early to mid career professionals. Compensation seems fair or better, and I do believe middle and upper management care about their people.

Cons

An immature organization who has grown quickly and the dust is stil settling. Lack of focus on top priorities. Too many initiatives, not enough people. No resource management takes place and there is a lot of talk about work life balance, but at the end of the day you have work you have to get done. Do not expect a 40 hour or a 45 hour work week will be sufficient. 9/80's are offered but seems that on average you can only take about half of your 9/80's as there is too much work to be done. Significant organizational structure changes in regular 6 month intervals.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your resource constraints and reduce your initiatives to only top priorities or you will continue to lose good people. Also consider KPI's that promote success cross functionally rather than only within your organizational group