BHP Billiton

www.bhpbilliton.com

...All the Little Children

Geologist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits are good. Pay seems to be above average. Some small incentives. Very easy to do nothing; great place for people who want to hang out and get a paycheck. Freedom in geosciences to collaborate and research with almost any group.

Cons9/80 work week is touted, but not everyone can take advantage of it fully.

Prepare for almost continual decrees of change from upper management. Company is trying to “do it all” operating its onshore shale assets, but needs to let go and save face before they self-destruct. “Culture” is handed down like a lead pipe from greybeards from Australia. Common for management to treat employees like a child; lots of unnecessary hand-holding.

Ingratiating yourself upon middle management a must for recognition and advancement. Career progression and opportunities are proffered and available, but almost impossible to get. Lots of turnover and attrition. About as close to government job bureaucracy as one could find in the private sector. The company has often and openly compared its own environment to that of “Calcutta in summer” – think about it.

Almost medieval segregation between techs/admins and geoscientists. Subsidized lunches are similar to food one might receive in a concentration camp.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t try to pretend that because you’ve done well in offshore you can run an unconventional business. If you can’t compromise on your high and mighty Australian ethics then let someone else operate your onshore. At the least, let your employees with shale experience lose to get things done.

Excellent People to Work With

Technical Assistant (Current Employee) Victoria, TX

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time for less than a year

Pros: Everyone here will talk about how much they enjoy BHP as a company, their co-workers, and office environment. They promote mainly from within, and they… Cons: The outsourced third-party service desk. It's painful. Advice to Senior Management: I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It was a good company butt it is falling apart.

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time

Pros: Good salary and good benefits. Cons: The culture is terrible. When I was hired a few years back the culture was great, but as BHP Billiton takes more of an… Advice to Senior Management: Treat employees equally. It takes more than one department to run a company.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on BHP Billiton.

Worked for BHP Billiton? Contribute to the Community!