There are newer employer reviews for BI Worldwide

Vendors are the unpaid employees of BI

Former Contractor - Instructional Design & Development in Minneapolis, MN
Former Contractor - Instructional Design & Development in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at BI Worldwide as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Here and there, you meet a few Account Reps or VPs that are smart, of integrity, and on the right track for delivering education and training the way it should be delivered.

Cons

I truly believe this company views vendors and freelancers as unpaid employees. They like to pull you in on projects with little notice, little promise on the "back end" of things, little gratitude, and work which amounts to significant free time delivered for BI to gain business. This can go on and on if one allows. Pay-off? Still waiting.

Advice to Management

Definitely need to unify as a team, as the company is VERY dispersed. And certainly, more respect for the vendors and freelancers that essentially are the building blocks of your business.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place to work

I worked at BI Worldwide (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always something new to learn

Cons

Benefits were not as strong

Culture embraces mediocrity.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I worked at BI Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent annual raises (3-7%), pretty much impossible to get fired.

If you're looking for a job where you don't have to work very hard, don't have to be be held accountable and aren't required to get results then this is the place for you,

Cons

Culture embraces mediocrity and promotes based on it. They want senior managers and "leaders" in the organization who get along with everyone versus people who are strategic, intelligent and forward-thinking. They have a nice set of values created, however, senior management does NOT live them - if you want to get a sense of the culture look at the opposite of each value and that's what BI is. It's a very slow, political culture. If you're talented, curious, driven, innovative, fast-paced and results oriented you shouldn't waste your time at BI. Unfortunately, BI has many talented people - all in non-senior management roles - and they don't last more than a few years because of the issues with senior management and the president.

Senior management is horrible - no one is qualified for their jobs and there is no accountability but they never fire anyone in senior management or clean house. There's no upward movement (or at least not for 15+ years until senior management retires and then I'm guessing all senior management's kids, nieces and nephews will get the jobs), president doesn't trust senior management - doesn't let most of them make decisions and doesn't hold them accountable.

The president has built a culture where his senior managers are scared to challenge him and as a result he dictates everything. This leads to the slow-moving culture because everything needs to be approved by the president - no senior leaders are allowed to make decisions. I've never been in a company where so many senior leaders were scared of the president - they were terrified of him. It's a very unhealthy environment but they stay because they've all been there their entire careers and aren't qualified to work anywhere else.

Benefits are awful and HR doesn't allow flex hours are working from home (you can get away with it depending on the department). The HR department sucks in general (most do) - all they focus on is throwing parties - and ignore the fact that there's talent that keeps coming and leaving the company each year.

Advice to Management

I pretty much gave it all to them when I was there in person. Don't see things changing.

BI Worldwide Response

Nov 12, 2013Vice President, HR

I feel compelled to respond to this former employee’s submission. This person was clearly not aligned with our culture and values. Mediocrity is not embraced by us and to make this assertion is an ... More