There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

It was ok, simple restaurant job

Former Employee - Server
Former Employee - Server

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Its good experience in a fast paced working environment. A step up from some of the lower restaurants like chili's but not quite "fine dining"

Cons

They tend to behave as though it is a fine dining restaurant at times. There were more secret shoppers than I had at a five star restaurant. Trust seemed to be lacking in their employees.

Advice to Management

Don't make the assumption that the secret shop is a good metric for evaluation of employees. While standards are important, I saw many of the best servers (read: the ones that gave the guests an optimal experience), get fired due to one or two less than optimal "shops." Seek advice from the "front line" employees as they can give first hand accounts of how well the strategies are working.

reviews filtered by

Fair and leanient, but secret shoppers will destroy your good serving reputation

Current Employee - Server-New Restaurant CA
    Current Employee - Server-New Restaurant CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Wonderful management team, great team members, great hours and hotschedules make life so much easier!

Cons

SECRET SHOPPERS will destroy you. They can say a million nice things about how friendly you are and how fantastic your service is..bot God forbid you forget to leave a bev nap ar ask "if you have made your selection" and you are scheduled to food run or patio for the month (no matter what the weather looks like). Its a waste of the companies money to pay these so called "shoppers"..if you are a good server, the guest will appreciate it and they WILL come back..there is no need for 12 stupid steps that really just annoy most people.

Advice to Management

My reputation should not be affected so much by these shoppers. I am a very good server and I am always sure to make my guest happy and that they leave with a smile..the 12 steps just make us sound robotic, and somewhat ridiculous at 10 am asking if a guest wants a margarita or rum and pepsi.

It's a decent company to work for and it beats retail!

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

My coworkers are friendly and management is positive. I would definitely choose to work here over other chain restaurants. It's nice to walk out the door with tips.

Cons

Management requires you to take a 30 minute unpaid break mid-shift even if you don't end up working a 5 hour shift. Sometimes the timing of the breaks are horrible.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants