BJ's Restaurants
www.bjsrestaurants.com Huntington Beach, CA 5000+ Employees

A Bad Experience

Hostess (Current Employee)
Modesto, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

ProsI loved most of my coworkers. The customers were good for the most part as well. Hotschedules makes it very easy to manage your work schedule. The uniform is great. Hostesss are able to wear black dress pants, any kind of black shirt (or white during lunch), jewelry, and hair accessories. We also get free meals and drinks.

ConsThe management at this particular restaurant was poor. In order to save money, they make hostesses work like slaves. We are constantly running around the restaurant making sure everything is taken care of, yet the managers still find something to complain about. Recently we were yelled at for losing three parties one day. The guests thought that the wait was too long and decided to eat somewhere else, so of course the managers blamed us. Also, expect to be doing work well beyond what hostesses at most restaurants do. They refuse to keep enough staff working to make the restaurant run smoothly, so in order to pick up the slack we are made to clean the bathrooms, clear off tables, and wash silverware on top of seating people. On busy days it is impossible to complete everything while trying to keep up with the large amount of guests that need to be seated. So expect to be scolded for not being able to keep up with their ridiculous demands.

Some of my coworkers also made working here very unpleasant. Two of the girls up front are constantly rude to guests; I was always apologizing to angry customers because of them. These two are also very unorganized. Don't be surprised if they tell you to take a party to a certain table and then get mad at you for taking them there when you get back. It happened to me and other hostesses several times.

In addition, don't expect to get any hours your first few months of working. There were some weeks that I wasn't scheduled to work at all, yet the girls with seniority would work six days every week. Hostesses are also the only ones who don't get tipped; a five hour shift of working like a slave amounts to $40 before taxes are taken out. If you still decided that this is a place you want to work, expect to wait over an hour for an interview to then have a manager tell you to come back another day. This has also happened numerous time to applicants.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn to be realistic about your expectations and treat your employees with respect.

Server

Server (Current Employee)
Chandler, AZ

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great staff, Great management, fun atmosphere, easy job, room to… Cons: Some minor issues with management, does not always ensure enough… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Decent restaurant to work at

Cocktail Server (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You work at a microbrewery, helps increase sales compared to… Cons: Becoming increasingly more corporate. This means less tables and freedom to develop your own style. You have to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on BJ's Restaurants.

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BJ's Restaurants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BJ's Restaurants CEO Greg Trojan. All reviews posted anonymously by BJ's Restaurants employees.