BJ's Restaurants

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Good Serving Job

Former Employee - Server in Temecula, CA
Former Employee - Server in Temecula, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nights were always busy.Work hard then you usually made money.

Cons

Managent needs some work. Felt like we were always short a manager.

Follow through with what your promise. For example promotions and company appreciation party.

206 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

A Bad Experience

Current Employee - Hostess in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Modesto, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved most of my coworkers. The customers were good for the most part as well. Hotschedules makes it very easy to manage your work schedule. The uniform is great. Hostesss are able to wear black dress pants, any kind of black shirt (or white during lunch), jewelry, and hair accessories. We also get free meals and drinks.

Cons

The management at this particular restaurant was poor. In order to save money, they make hostesses work like slaves. We are constantly running around the restaurant making sure everything is taken care of, yet the managers still find something to complain about. Recently we were yelled at for losing three parties one day. The guests thought that the wait was too long and decided to eat somewhere else, so of course the managers blamed us. Also, expect to be doing work well beyond what hostesses at most restaurants do. They refuse to keep enough staff working to make the restaurant run smoothly, so in order to pick up the slack we are made to clean the bathrooms, clear off tables, and wash silverware on top of seating people. On busy days it is impossible to complete everything while trying to keep up with the large amount of guests that need to be seated. So expect to be scolded for not being able to keep up with their ridiculous demands.

Some of my coworkers also made working here very unpleasant. Two of the girls up front are constantly rude to guests; I was always apologizing to angry customers because of them. These two are also very unorganized. Don't be surprised if they tell you to take a party to a certain table and then get mad at you for taking them there when you get back. It happened to me and other hostesses several times.

In addition, don't expect to get any hours your first few months of working. There were some weeks that I wasn't scheduled to work at all, yet the girls with seniority would work six days every week. Hostesses are also the only ones who don't get tipped; a five hour shift of working like a slave amounts to $40 before taxes are taken out. If you still decided that this is a place you want to work, expect to wait over an hour for an interview to then have a manager tell you to come back another day. This has also happened numerous time to applicants.

Please learn to be realistic about your expectations and treat your employees with respect.

Server

Current Employee - Server in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff, Great management, fun atmosphere, easy job, room to move around company, management cares about their employees

Cons

Some minor issues with management, does not always ensure enough hours, some coworker drama, uniforms are awful

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants