There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Never have I worked for such a unorganized, unprofessional company and their management.

Current Employee - Server  in  Mesquite, TX
Current Employee - Server in Mesquite, TX

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time for less than a year

Pros

Originally, when I started I loved all of the staff and I genuinely felt like we were a family. It was so awesome to go to work and just have a good time, not your typical "dramatic restaurant" atmosphere.
Our sales were high, as well as tips!

Cons

Randomly one day I came in for a shift and I was told out GM was gone and our new one will be here in a month. No one knew that this was his first store he had managed. A month later we had all new management, excluding out AGM who has been there for a very long time.
Along with this came the most stressful, unhappy, work environment I have ever been in, and the reason I believe that it is all so frustrating is that it could completely be avoided,

I honestly can say I have never been more disappointed with any management. There is not one employee that knows 100% what is expected of them because, the rules change and are applied only to certain people at certain times. I also don't think I have ever felt as disrespected by a manager as I have working here.

195 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

Good Serving Job

Former Employee - Server  in  Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Temecula, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nights were always busy.Work hard then you usually made money.

Cons

Managent needs some work. Felt like we were always short a manager.

Follow through with what your promise. For example promotions and company appreciation party.

A Bad Experience

Current Employee - Hostess  in  Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Modesto, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved most of my coworkers. The customers were good for the most part as well. Hotschedules makes it very easy to manage your work schedule. The uniform is great. Hostesss are able to wear black dress pants, any kind of black shirt (or white during lunch), jewelry, and hair accessories. We also get free meals and drinks.

Cons

The management at this particular restaurant was poor. In order to save money, they make hostesses work like slaves. We are constantly running around the restaurant making sure everything is taken care of, yet the managers still find something to complain about. Recently we were yelled at for losing three parties one day. The guests thought that the wait was too long and decided to eat somewhere else, so of course the managers blamed us. Also, expect to be doing work well beyond what hostesses at most restaurants do. They refuse to keep enough staff working to make the restaurant run smoothly, so in order to pick up the slack we are made to clean the bathrooms, clear off tables, and wash silverware on top of seating people. On busy days it is impossible to complete everything while trying to keep up with the large amount of guests that need to be seated. So expect to be scolded for not being able to keep up with their ridiculous demands.

Some of my coworkers also made working here very unpleasant. Two of the girls up front are constantly rude to guests; I was always apologizing to angry customers because of them. These two are also very unorganized. Don't be surprised if they tell you to take a party to a certain table and then get mad at you for taking them there when you get back. It happened to me and other hostesses several times.

In addition, don't expect to get any hours your first few months of working. There were some weeks that I wasn't scheduled to work at all, yet the girls with seniority would work six days every week. Hostesses are also the only ones who don't get tipped; a five hour shift of working like a slave amounts to $40 before taxes are taken out. If you still decided that this is a place you want to work, expect to wait over an hour for an interview to then have a manager tell you to come back another day. This has also happened numerous time to applicants.

Please learn to be realistic about your expectations and treat your employees with respect.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!