It was a 5+ year old love and hate relationship

Former Employee - Server in Folsom, CA
Former Employee - Server in Folsom, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- good money for students
- lots of work for those that desired it

Cons

- high manager turnover at my particular location
- transitioned into a monotone company that required servers to have a dry interaction with customers
- managers made exceptions to policy when customers would complain so you're on your own

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good money, fair to poor management. Too "corporate"

Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer in Hurst, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers were like my family. Had a lot of fun at work. Due to the online scheduling you can adjust your schedule to almost always work around your personal life. There was always money to be made, almost every shift, every day. I worked at a very busy location though. I loved the food and was always able to enjoy a good meal before/after a shift. (kinda expensive though). After you learn the menu and what is required of you as a server, the job is fun and easy, because "everyone loves Bj's!" and the people who come in are generally there to have a good time and enjoy good food.

Cons

There is a 100 question "personality assessment" you have to pass to get hired. The menu is huge and there is a lot to learn. You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired. If you are "in the weeds" and need help, good luck, because most servers are overwhelmed themselves, and managers are likely not paying attention (unless it's a peak volume time- weekends). Also, any complaint from a guest is ALWAYS your fault. Management doesn't seem to understand that servers are human and can make simple mistakes. It's always the guest's word over yours. And that sucks. The reason I got fired was because I was in the weeds and I failed to fill up a guest's water. The man claimed I "didn't want to wait on him" when in reality I was overwhelmed with tables because the manager cut most of the servers (to save labor cost) and I couldn't keep up with all the tasks at hand. Of course, there was no one around to help me at that time. The white shirts you wear are a pain to keep clean as well. But a lot of restaurants have that uniform so no big deal. You are required to always run food, and this can hinder your ability to wait on your tables in a timely manner. If you like to hustle and work hard, this is a great job for you.

Advice to Management

Management needs to worry less about saving labor costs, and more about helping out the servers and cooks. The kitchen was always behind and/or unable to keep up with the demands of a large restaurant. Also, the script you are required to say at the first visit to a table overwhelms the customers (along with the 20 page menu!) and I think it makes many people feel rushed or annoyed by all the "selling".

2. Horrible, By far the worst Job I've ever had the nightmare of working.

Current Employee - Line Cook in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in West Covina, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to get fat off the greasy food.

Cons

West Covina BJ's has by far the worst management. Very unprofessional, biased and lack empathy/ consideration.

Advice to Management