There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Your training can get you fired by mystery shopper

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management was laid back and fun. Team work was the best I've worked with in any restaurant.

Cons

I was trained to inform the guest of calorie changes when a substitution is made on the "enlightened" dishes. I did this and accidently insulted this guest who turned out to be a mystery shopper. In turn, she lied on her review (I believe to get back at me thinking I would just get written up or something) and I got fired. Granted, I did not ask, "Have you made your selections," but I did not do that because she already told me she wanted a few minutes to look at the menu. I was also trained to offer the hand crafted rootbeer if we weren't going to offer an alcoholic beverage (this was our judgment based on time of day, etc.) I did this and got points taken off. She said I didn't offer an appetizer or dessert and the plates were still on her table when she was ready to leave. She took two bites of her dish and asked for a box. The plates were taken off when she was done boxing up her food, but I still got points taken off. She kept me at her table for extended periods of time interfering with the quality of service for my other tables. They aren't supposed to interfere with the service. Because this mystery shopper was having a bad day and what I was trained to do was actually wrong, I am now a single mom without a job to support my daughter and have no idea what I am going to do to pay for daycare and rent in a couple of weeks.

Take a closer look at why a mystery shopper may have given a server a low score and don't fire them after one bad shop. In the previous weeks, I had 3 or 4 tables ask to speak to a manager to tell them how great my service was and they would be coming back to ask for me. I wish the managers could have taken this into account. If a table informs me that they would like a few minutes, I am not going to ask, "Have you made your selections" because it makes me seem like I'm ignoring them and trying to rush them. The quality of service should not be based on whether or not we ask, "Have you made your selections" but rather the experience the guest has while there and how they feel when they leave.

204 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

It is ok

Current Employee - Bartender/Cocktail Waitress in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Bartender/Cocktail Waitress in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some awesome people that I work with and it's also pretty easy to transfer locations.

Cons

They will work you long hours and not really take your requests into much consideration.

Let the hard workers have better schedules.

nice place

Former Employee - Cook in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Cook in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at BJ's Restaurants as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

nice place to work, and good people

Cons

none to mention at this time

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants